When are dissolvable stitches supposed to dissolve? (photos)

When are dissolvable stitches supposed to dissolve? And are they keeping my incisions from healing properly and timely? Sometimes when my scabs get wet they peel off and I can see the sutures. Is it concerning or normal? I know my scabs are larger than usual but my surgeon was not concerned because they are superficial and no infection.

Dissolvable Stitches

Healing will go on for 2-3 months for the early period.  There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences.   Sensation will be abnormal.  Scars will be changing. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the  technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined. While you want to allow a little time for sutures to dissolve, and keep them clean in the process, you should not hesitate to see your surgeon in person with questions or concerns regarding healing. You will be able to have the area evaluated for proper healing and acquire all essential advice based on your case. Best of luck!

Where is the surgeon in this process?

It depends on which material it is.  Sometimes they spit out as in your case.  The solution is to remove them.  They are evident in the wound.  If they are not removed the wound will not heal.

Dissolving sutures

Thank you for taking the time to post a question. There are various types of dissolving sutures. The internal dissolving sutures usually take a few months to completely dissolve but they can last even longer depending on what was used. They can interfere with healing when they are exposed as yours are. You may be reacting to them. In some people, their bodies reject the sutures and that is what can cause these wounds to open. I would see your plastic surgeon again and discuss the plan to get these areas to heal. Good luck!

Jennifer Boll, MD
Tempe Plastic Surgeon