Composite bonding on bottom front incisors. Tartar builds up so quickly behind them--which toothpaste is safe and helps?

My two bottom incisors are heavily filled with composite bonding-they are straightened/spaces closed with the bonding. I keep the area clean with flossing/brushing with regular Colgate toothpaste. I've read to keep away from abrasive pastes (including tartar control) because the ingredients breakd own the bonding. Soon after a cleaning i have buildup again behind the teeth/bonding. Supersmile paste didn't help. What paste is safe for bonding and also will prevent/remove the tartar buildup?

Preventing Tartar Build-up

Thank you for posting your question.  Home care routine is important in preventing tartar build-up.  The area behind the lower front teeth is a very common area that builds up tartar.  A persons individual biochemistry will determine how much build-up they get.  When plaque builds-up then it can be easily removed as it is soft.  Plaque is the white film that forms on your teeth that is an accumulation of bacteria and bacterial by-products.  If it is not removed then it hardens.  When it hardens it is called tartar or calculus.  It is the minerals in the saliva that cause the soft plaque to harden. There are major salivary glands located under the tongue that constantly pump out saliva which predisposes the bottom front teeth to accumulate tartar more readily.  There are other areas in the mouth as well.  Once it hardens then professional instruments are needed to remove the tartar.  The sonicare is a good electronic toothbrush to use rather then a manual toothbrush.  Also, adding a waterpik may improve your home care.  A waterpik is water under pressure that helps to flush things out. You can ask your dentist or hygienst to help you use these instruments more effectively.  Hope that helps.  Good Luck!

New York Dentist

Rapid tartar buildup

It is true that tartar buildup varies from person to person. Salivary flow is another factor. More frequent cleanings may be one option. Do you use a manual or electric toothbrush? I would suggest switching to a Sonicare toothbrush. Also using a waterpick. Finally, take your toothbrush into the dental office and show the hygienist your method of brushing. You may not be hitting these areas as much as you think you are.  

Tartar on Bonding

Great question. My 1st response would be that the bonding needs to be highly polished. Smoother bonding is less susceptible to plaque sticking to it than if were not smooth. My 2nd response would be to use an electric toothbrush. I personally recommend a Sonicare, but any of the top brands would be better than using a manual toothbrush. Good luck!

Toothpaste, brushing, rinsing

Dear Grail720: I understand your concern, however unfortunately there is no Magic Bullet and there is no magic toothpaste brands that will let you build up less plaque. You should talk to your dentist about having those surfaces highly polished, that definitely helps since plaque sticks much more to roughened surfaces then to smooth ones. It is also far easier to clean a nice curved smooth surface with a toothbrush.Best,

Teeth cleaning

Hi, thanks for write... The ttoothpaste has no influence in that sense, the salivary glands are located behind those teeth, need to continue cleaning and go to your dentist every  3 months. Regards 

Jepssy Beltre, DDS DDSC
Dominican Republic Dentist