What should a front tooth temporary crown look like?

This is what my dentist did, and I'm horrified at the shape and the color - brown. Is this normal? Why would they do it like this? I'm very upset with them and they keep assuring me that the permanent will look really good, and their custom color specialist will make it perfect.

Ugly temporary

I agree that there is room for improvement on your temporary. I suggest having the dentist make a new temporary since you will be wearing this for a period of time. Additionally, I suggest you pay close attention to the final restoration before it is cemented. If it isn't perfect be sure to ask that the changes are made before it is cemented. Once a crown is cemented it's much more difficult to make changes. 

Sometimes the temporary its a copy of your old tooth, you can ask for a different colour only to try to match with your teeth, its very important you talk with your DDS, if you don't like it. I hope the crown will be ready fast, if not, go back and ask for a different temporary. But when be ready the crown don't worry to ask any change, remember that one will be a lot of years, and its the time to make any change, about color, size or shape.

What should a temporary #crown look like? #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the esthetics of your temporary.  I agree that the shape and shade of your temporary crown does not match your natural teeth.  An excellent cosmetic dentist will ensure that a temporary, especially a temporary on a front tooth, looks similar in shape and color to the adjacent teeth. I always recommend doing some online research to find an excellent cosmetic dentist who can give you the results you desire. Analyzing before and after photos of actual patients of the doctor that you are considering will give you a pretty good indication about what you can expect. Be sure that you are happy with the shape and shade of your crown before having it permanently cemented. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100