I have round eyes & I would like to have almond shaped eyes. Can I change my eye shape? (photo)

As you can see in the photo below there is a peice of skin in the corners, that are turned down, and at outer area of her eyes is turned up dramatically....and yes I am aware that she has makeup on...but even without it they are beautifully exotic. I would really love to have her catty sultry eyes. Mine are round & are a medium/ large. I want the turned down in the inner corners look...the exotic look. And hers are actually kinda bigger to... what procedures would it take to achieve this look? 

Doctor Answers 5

Wanting almond shaped eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It looks like your lower eyelid margin laterally is a little low giving your eyes the appearance of having  round rather than almond eyes. A canthopexy would significantly give you an almond shaped eye.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Changing eye shape

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Generally patients cannot get surgery done to change the shape of their eye. I am sure that there are some doctors who would be willing to operate. However, the results would not be optimal because that type of surgery is not one with good outcomes. 

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

Eyelids-changing the shape

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
While it is possible to change the shape of the eyes by altering the structures supporting the eyelids I would advise against it because of the potential complications. If you decide to proceed with the operation I would suggest getting at least two opinions and researching the subject more. The picture of the model that you presented is obviously posed and altered. Many problems are created in an attempt to achieve a specific goal that may not be advisable.

Richard O. Gregory, MD
Orlando Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Change of Eyelid Shape with Canthopexy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is definitely possible to change your eyelid shape.  Most often this is performed with a procedure known as a canthopexy.  This procedure is not insignificant and does carry some risk, such as lower lid drooping or issues with eye watering.  I'm guessing from your photos that you are young...the choice of this procedure is a huge commitment for your age, as it can weaken the natural attachments of your eyelids long term.  Its possible to achieve the appearance of having more of an almond shape with some techniques of eye-makeup.  As you can see from the models picture, the corners of her eyes are accentuated with makeup techniques that augment her almond shape.  I would start here...this is a low-cost and safe alternative.

Changing Eyelid Shape.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Yes, it is possible to change the eyelid shapes.  Your eyes could be made less round by a lateral canthopexy procedure that requires a small incision at the outside corner of your eyelids that sutures the lower eyelid tendon more superiorly to raise the lower eyelid.  I would not necessarily recommend this for you in seeing your pictures, however.  Getting perfect symmetry and the appearance of a probably "photoshop'd" model can be very difficult and you may not achieve your expected results leaving you potentially frustrated and having gone the risk and expense of surgery.  Oculoplastic surgeons perform these routinely for multiple reasons both cosmetic and reconstructive (to improve eye comfort), but your provided photo shows a nicely shaped eye already.  Oftentimes, carefully applied makeup can accentuate your eyes to the effect your are desiring.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.