What is the best treatment for a chin dimple? (Photo)

i absolutely hate my chin! I tried Botox, but I don't believe it worked. What would be the best treatment for my chin? Should I try Botox again? Maybe try a filler? I just want a soft, non dimpled chin.

Injectable filler smooths out chin dimples well

Thanks for your question. To smooth out chin dimples, I recommend the temporary use of an injectable filler in the chin. Hyaluronic acid is a safe and natural non-surgical option where a patient can quickly and easily see the actual results of a more balanced profile.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for the chin

Thank you for your question CrystalDaniG. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. It can be used to improve dimples on the chin caused by an overactive mentalis muscle. Typically anywhere from two to eight units are injected in this area. I usually start with a low dose because if the Botox spreads a possible side effect is an asymmetric smile. If there is not enough improvement more can be added. If wrinkles are caused by overactive muscles as are typically seen in the chin, the best treatment is to use Botox to relax the muscle. If wrinkles are due to volume loss, the fillers work best to restore lost volume. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Chin Dimples

Chin dimpling is usually caused by an overactive mentalis muscle. The mentalis is a muscle pair on the tip of the chin that helps control the movement of the lower lip. Patients with this kind of dimpling can often experience great improvement in the appearance of the chin with neuromodulator injections.

Karen Beasley, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment for chin dimple

Chin dimpling may be caused by an overactive mentalis muscle. The mentalis is a muscle pair on the tip of the chin that helps control the movement of the lower lip. Patients with this kind of dimpling can often experience great improvement in the appearance of the chin with neuromodulator injections. In addition, proper use of dermal fillers like Restylane, Juvederm, Belotero or Radiesse can improve the appearance of the chin.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Combination Treatment

You may benefit with using both Neuromodulators like Botox, Dysport or Xeomin to relax the Mentalis muscle in the chin but in conjunction of a Dermal Filler such as Radiesse or Juvederm to soften the look and give the tissue on the chin the support that it needs. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Chin dimple

Thank you for your question and photos.  Voluma would be your best option at this point.  It is designed for structural support and should give you good results.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Chin Dimple options

Dear CrystalDaniG:

The jaw is created when 3 layers of tissues from the developing fetus join in the middle. While the paired mentalis muscles pull the chin upward, they may not have fused together leaving a dimple. It is also possible the symphysis of the joining jaw bones have left a cleft under the skin, fat and muscle.

Options to rid of a dimpled chin depend on where the separation is. 
Consider as you did:
  1. Botox as well as, 
  2. Filler in the dermis, fatty layer, muscle layer
  3. Filler along the bone
  4. a chin implant
  5. jaw surgery.
It is best to obtain consultation from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial ENT Surgeon with a lot of experience in this area to offer what is best for you.

All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Chin Dimples -- Combine Botox/Dysport and Fillers

If not happy with this combination then the only other option is surgery.  I think you will get a great result if you go to an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Chin liposuction

Your options include filler with either fat or hyaluronic acid, chin implant or bone contouring.  The simple treatment would be a hyaluronic filler.  This will last for a year or so and if you like it you could repeat or do a more permanent solution.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Chin dimple

I have had the best success with synthetic fillers for dimples in the chin like yours. It is quite easy and quick and can last over a year. 
Hope that helps and best of luck, 
Dr. Donath 

Alexander Donath, MD, FACS
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon