Pimple Like Bump on Outside Corner of Eye Following a Lower Bleph

I had a lower Bleph 4 weeks ago. Immediatly after the sutures were removed I noticed a little pimple like bump on the outside corner of my eye, near or on the suture line. It has remained unchanged over the last few weeks. What is it? Will it go away? When? If not, what are the solutions. I see my doctor in another month, should I call sooner and report this? Thank you.

Post Bleph Incision Bump

When in doubt, ask you surgeon. It most likely is a milia ( small, firm white bump) that is easily treated at your next visit.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Suture line bumps are common after blepharoplasty

Depending on how inflamed the bump you are describing is, you may wait until your follow up visit, or you may wish to be seen sooner.

Milia, or tiny, painless, soft "whiteheads" along or beside the incision line, are common with blepharoplasty, and are treated painlessly at a routine follow up visit.

If the spot is more firm, tender, red, and growing, this could be a very localized suture line infection or retained suture, and should be addresses more quickly.

In either case, your final result is unlikely to be affected at all, and the problem is a temporary one.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

White bumps after Eyelid surgery

Dear Elizabeth JK,

These bumps are quite common.  They are called milia but simply put, they are oils that accumulate around the sutures.  These are easily addressed by your doctor.  A small needle is inserted into the bump and the oil is expressed.  Usually this is not painful, because the skin has reduced sensation for several weeks after surgery.  Also, this usually does not leave any mark; nor does it signify a problem with healing.

Dr. Michelle Yagoda

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD

You are describing an inclusion cyst.

You are concerned about this issue.  It is very easy to take care of.  Your two month follow up visit is a routine visit.  As you are having a (minor) issue, it is reasonable to call your surgeon and be seen for this.  It is simple to deal with the inclusion cyst.

Skin bump after blepharoplasty

A bump of the skin around the suture line after blepharoplasty is most likely an epithelial cyst.  These cysts, called milia, can be treated simply in the office.  See your surgeon to have it evaluated.

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Milia Management

It's not unusual for patients to note fine white bumps on the eyelids following blepharoplasty surgery. These lesions are known as milia. These are effectively whiteheads that result from blockage of the eyelid skin pores.

These lesions may resolve spontaneously, but in most cases require some type of treatment. This usually involves un-roofing the lesion. This usually results in total resolution of the problem.

If you're concerned about milia following your surgical procedure, it's appropriate to consult your surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your concerns.

Milia most likely

Your condition is quite common and easily treated. Milia are oil bumps which can be removed with a needle. It is not a reflection on how the surgery was performed. Just make a follow up appointment with your surgeon. 

Pimple Like Bump after Bleph

Hi Elizabeth.  Aftercare questions and concerns must always be directed to your surgeon.  I suspect you may have a milia.  This is easily addressed in the office.  

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

White bump after blepharoplasty

What you are describing sounds like a milia, a small inclusion cyst, that can be easily removed at your next followup visit.

Angela Sturm, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump on lower eyelid

Yes, you should call and go in to see the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Blepharoplasty...this could be a localised irritation from the sutures, a milia, or blocked gland along the lower eyelash margin.  He/she should be able to take care of this during your post op visit.