Isolated Hanging Columella Surgery Implications? (photo)

I have a hanging columella & the inside of my nostrils show a lot (particularly right profile). I’ve never had a rhinoplasty & I’d like to correct this particular area of my nose only. Is this a complicated/heavy operation? Would it affect my face’s frontal appearance? Does this type of intervention cause a lot of bruising & swelling? How long does it take for the swelling to subdue? After how much time would my nose's appearance be decent enough to go to work and have a social life? Thanks!

Correction of Hanging Columella

The columella should be elevated and the nostril rims lowered with cartilage grafts taken from the septum so the rims are not so convex. This will change the appearance of your tip in the frontal view. You will have some swelling with typically minimal bruising so you can resume your professional and social life in 10-12 days.

Isolated Hanging Columella Surgery Implications?

How the Rhinoplasty operation is performed?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hanging columella addressed with columelloplasty

The hanging columella is a relatively straightforward procedure to fix and is called a columelloplasty.  This can be performed under local or general anesthesia, however, most patients prefer general since there are so many nerve endings in the tip of the nose.  The columelloplasty procedure involves removing a portion of cartilage and skin on both sides of the columella and tucking it up and inward to get the ala and columella in proportion.  From the frontal view the nose is shortened but the tip is not over rotated.  There is very minimal swelling associated with the procedure and most patients are back to work in less than a week after it is performed.