Is it normal or okay to have Juvederm mixed with saline injected under your eyes?

I was injected with a juvederm/saline mixture, "to make it smoother" under my eyes. Is this okay? I'm 31.

Many ways to make eyes look beautiful

Cosmetic treatments really depend on each patient and each doctor doing the procedure.
In some cases, lighter filler is needed to do the best job. In some cases, that means mixing the filler with sterile saline to make it flow smoother and distribute more evenly.
I must say, though, that this practice should be reserved for the en experienced injector.
i hope that helps

Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Belotero is a soft, forgiving HA filler for eyes

That can certainly be done to make Juvederm softer.  Another alternative would be to use a softer HA filler to begin with such as Belotero.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm technique - Williamsville NY

Juvederm is typically injected without any admixture without diluting it in most practices. Juvederm and Belotero are excellent HA based fillers. 

Juvederm and Saline

Yes, it is a common practice to mix Juvederm with saline for areas of thin skin, such as under the eyes. The reason for this is if too much is injected, it can give you the “tindle effect”. This means that you can see the filler through the skin, causing a blueish hue. Also, the proteins in juvederm take on more water, so there’s a higher chance of swelling. In the under eyes you want to be careful not to inject too much as it will cause puffiness.

David J. Myers, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Saline for under eyes

The mixing of Juvederm and Saline is a common practice to liquify the solution and help it spread easily. However, we recommend other injectables to treat under eyes such as Restylane, which can help restore volume in the face and desired areas.  

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Diluting Juvederm under the Eyes

Hi NC.  Yes, it is possible to do this.  Normally an injector would use the technique to make the product easier to place.  The thinner the product, the easier it is to inject.  Normally the product would not last as long if it has been diluted like this, but it's certainly an option to do it this way.  We prefer Restylane or Belotero under the eyes because they are easy to place and last up to 12 months.  

To see examples of Irvine, CA patients that have been injected under the eyes with Restylane in our Orange, CA office, click on the link below.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Juvederm

Depending on the provider and what your main concerns are, diluting Juvederm is okay prior to injecting. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Filler Under The Eyes, Best Injected With Cannulas

Fillers can be diluted with saline or lidocaine prior to injection.  It is not customary but there are many physicians who do it.  I often use restylane or belotero in this area over juvederm, as they swell less which is why i wouldnt mix with saline as it would likely cause the juvederm to swell more.  But again, nothing improper was done.  you should trust you doctor and go to someone who uses cannulas as they cause less bruising and swelling.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm under the Eyes

Juvederm is a great injection but I prefer something less "thick" under the eyes like Restylane or Belotero.  Juvederm is ideal for nasolabial area or Juvederm Voluma is best for the mid-face and lifting the cheeks and adding facial volume.  The area under the eye (tear trough) is quite a thin area and best treated with other finer products.

Diluted Juvederm should not be used around eyes

Juvederm is too hydrophilic to be used around eyes. It can cause prolonged edema that requires removal. Restylane, or Sculptra is my choice around eyes. Some might say sculptra can give nodules but if used judiciously, it is fine. Always use cannulas for this too.

Steven F. Weiner, MD