Vellus Hair In Transplanted Recipient Site?

Thanks to all who responded. I'm not the patient, I'm asking on behalf of someone else, so no pictures. Dr. Rassman, don't understand "exclusive vellus hair transplant" comment? how is that possible? Dr. Cole and Dr. Arocha thank you for your insight. Your comments align with what I shared with recipient, who has already expressed concern to the doctor. Prior to FUE transplant, area was bald. Post FUE - short, thin, sparse hair appeared in area on 10th month, no growth or thickening since.

Question for me

What I normally do when I perform any frontal hair transplant is I place the smallest one hair grafts in the leading edge of the hairline. I generally place 500 or so grafts to create a wide transition zone so that the exact hairline location can not be seen.  Of those 500 hairs, only some of them will be fine and those are placed at the leading edge. One can not transplant exclusively vellus hair

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Villus Hair

That seems very strange. I would need to see patient in person to know for sure but perhaps some of the hairs were "challenged" during the extraction process.Treating with laser could possibly make them stronger etc...

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

In general transplanted hairs grow and take the characteristics of donor hair.

In general transplanted hairs grow and take the characteristics of donor hair.  If normal scalp hair was harvested, you should not have thin / short (as you call it velus) hairs growing.  One exception may be your donor hair was not a good healthy supply.  It is best to follow up with your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Villus hair transplant

onyx54,What area was used for donor harvest? It is not likely that it is a villus hair may be thin hair, does the transplanted hair not grow? Sincerely,
Bernardino Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post FUE - short, thin, sparse hair appeared in area on 10th month

There is no concept as "exclusive vellus hair transplant" ...FUE surgen have to choose mature hair roots on safe donor area that are matured well ...If we accept your comments true about surgical result (without pictures?) , post FUE - short, thin, sparse hair appeared in transplant area after 10th month means surgeon is unexperienced on FUE. Reason of that poor  result may be low number of harvest  (because of poor donor area of patient???), harvesting from unsafe donor area or poor implanting and/or storing conditions of clinic/staff/surgeon. Consequently that causes low density and sparce hair appearence ..

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon