Hairline lowering surgery or hair transplant? (Photos)

I have been trying to make up my mind if I should go for hairline lowering surgery or having a hair transplant to reduce the size of my forehead? I feel that the scarring from hairline lowering will be very noticeable compared to if I have a hair transplant as there is no scarring and I could have a fuller looking head of hair at the front, any suggestions?

If you have signs of genetic hair loss you would not be a good candidate for forehead reduction surgery.

If you have signs of genetic hair loss you would not be a good candidate for forehead reduction surgery.  You would need an exam first.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant will be a better choice

Choosing Hair transplant will be a better and much easier choice considering hairline lowering surgery will leave a linear scar.  You might also want to sit down with a doctor to discuss the usage of oral finasteride and topical minoxidil for your male pattern hair loss.

Alan Liu, MD
Taiwan Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplantation vs Hairline Lowering

Hairline lowering is designed for females with an inherited high hairline which is not receding. It's not a good a good idea to do it in males or in females where the hairline is or can recede. No-one wants a scar at the hairline beached there alone after the hair has gone backwards and away from it. Transplants are a better choice.

Mario Marzola, MD
Adelaide Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair line lowering vs HT

I would only recommend a HT for you A hairline lowering procedure is not recommended for men with progressive hair loss because the scar will be very exposed over timeGood Luck 
J Vogel, MD

James Vogel, MD

Hait Transplantation vs. Hairline Lowering

Thank you for your question. Given your male pattern balding, you are a better candidate for grafts, as when you continue to recede, the advancement scar may be too noticeable.Best wishes

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hairline lower or hair transplant?

For men, the use of hairline lowering is a bad decision because if you should bald and recede, your scar will show from a hairline lowering procedure.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairline Lowering Procedure or Hair Transplants

Although I am normally a strong advocate of the hairline lowering procedure I would recommend hair transplants for you because you're already showing signs of male pattern baldness. The incision for the hairline lowering procedure may become exposed if hair loss progresses. 

Hair transplant vs Hairline Lowering

Thanks for posting your pictures and question. I have had awesome results performing hair transplant for this kind of hair loss. This method avoids a hairline scar, which can become visible if the hairline recedes. Also, the result from transplant looks natural and helps to define the hairline for the rest of your life. Rather than just transplant to lower the hairline, I make sure to feather the follicles backwards so if you have recession of your hair, the result still appears natural. Best of luck!

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

Hair transplant versus hairline lowering

A hair transplant may be more beneficial for your hairline lowering concerns.  Hair grafting can be performed to lower the hairline without the risk of a hairline scar.  Given the progressive nature of hair loss, if your hairline is lowered surgically you risk the scar becoming exposed in the future.  Hair transplant would allow for a moderate filling in and lowering of the hairline without this concern.

Hair Transplant is a better choice

As you correctly pointed out, lowering your hairline surgically as opposed to a transplant would carry the risk of scarring in a more invasive surgery. You should consider hairline lowering if you have other reasons to want a brow lift, (eg droopy eyebrows, severe forehead wrinkling etc). Ordinarily, a simple hair transplant would achieve this task with minimal risk of scarring.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon