Can I Switch to Spanx Instead Of Compression Garment? (photo)

Hello. I am just now 18 days out from lipo of upper/lower abs, flanks, outer thighs and knees. (also had a breast lift/saline implant). My garment is starting to 'slide down' as I wear it. Too loose now. It is the Marena that comes from just under the breasts with a wide elastic band to mid calf, side zippers/eyehooks on sides. I have taken measurements and have lost 10 inches all over so it makes sense I suppose. My doc is on vacation. Do y'all think I'd be Okay in spanx at this point?

Spanx Post Lipo

Compression Garments after Liposuction Surgery Guidelines - Is Spanx a reasonable product: My personal opinion is that the first garment should be fitted for you in the office prior to surgery and applied in the operating room. Often it will become loose as the edema is mobilized and then it will need to be replaced. Spanx is a reasonable compression garment if it gives enough support and is the right size. I have my patents bring them in and confirm that it fits well.
Most important advise is to listen to your surgeon's advice as he best knows how much fat was removed, the elasticity that remains in your skin and amount of skin redundancy.
I recommend my patients wear their garments for a minimum of 3 weeks full time then for 12 hrs (day or night). if not a lot of redundant skin following liposuction to a maximum of 6 weeks. To be effective the garment needs to fit snug but not too tight as to cause pressure problems (inspect your skin if discomfort and when skin is exposed), or prevent you from sleeping. As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits - A Spanx type garment would work rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor;'s office.
Liposuction requires compression garments for three main reasons:
it restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure
It decreases the amount of bruising
It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking

#SpanxPostLipo

Garment post liposuction

I advise wearing garments for 3-4 weeks post op. I think spanx is fine and I recommend them often.

Spanx after Liposuction

Great question. A spanx garment should be fine but you should check with your surgeon. Some surgeons will recommend a stage 2 garment which is tighter when the swelling subsides post op.

Can I Switch to Spanx Instead Of Compression Garment? (

Spanx should be equally effective--we often have our patients switch to them after a week or so. Do check with your surgeon, though.

All the best. 

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

Sure you can, but I would discuss this with your surgeon. In my experience, after 3 weeks you should be OK. The garments keep the swelling even and provide you with some comfort. All the best

Switching Compression Garment after Liposuction

After 18 days, that may be OK.  I usually let my patients switch garments if the first garment is loose.  A loose garment is certainly not doing you any good.  Someone at the plastic surgeon's office should be able to answer your question.  Someone is always covering.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA