I Have Deviated Septum and Protrusive Dental Arches. Do my Teeth Affect my Septum?

I have a septum that buckles twice, and my dental arches are protrusive (this only happened after my wisdom teeth came in). I currently have braces and my arches are being expanded. Is there any way that through arch expansion, my septum will start straightening, or will I have to go through surgery to fix it?

Doctor Answers 3

I have deviated septum and protrusive dental arches. Do my teeth affect my septum?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This will not straighten your septum. In order to straighten a septum that is crooked, a septoplasty would be necessary. Depending on your insurance company, this is a functional procedure that will likely be covered. When performed properly by a skilled surgeon, a septoplasty can greatly improve your breathing and enhance your quality of life. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

Orthodontia will not improve septal deviation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately orthodontic treatment will not improve your septal deviation or any associated nasal obstruction. To really improve your septal problems and improve your nasal airway you would require a septoplasty or septorhinoplasty procedure to open the nasal airway. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Dentition and septum

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Orthodontics alone will not affect the septum.  Sometimes surgical assisted palatal expansion for narrow arches will affect the septum but this usually in sever cases.  A formal septoplasty or septorhinoplasty will need to be done separately for nasal deformities.  Donald R. Nunn MD DDS  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.