Swelling or did lipo not work? 7 weeks post op mommy makeover mini tt, lipo of abdomen, hips, flanks, inner/outer thighs

Exactly 7 weeks post op today, my jeans are really tight & can't even wear some. I feel like my saddle bags & my hips are still too big. Is it normal to still be swollen or should I be discussing maybe a touch up on these areas?

Post mommy makeover

At only 2 months you certainly have swelling that would mask the results of your surgery. I tell my patients to be carefull about salt intake as this can make swelling worse. The lumpiness, swelling, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Hope this helps.

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After a Mommy Makeover Procedure

Healing after the #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.

As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is import

Swelling post liposuction

It may take 3 months before your swelling abates.  Check your weight.  If it is higher than your pre operative weight, then you are either retaining water or have increased your calorie intake. 

Exercise, light compression, massage, low salt diet, and calorie control all contribute to idealizing results after liposuction.  Give it a bit more time.  Liposuction is the most frequently performed cosmetic surgery in the US because it is routinely successful.  There is some "art" to great liposuction and the results are both patient and surgeon specific.  

Mommy Makeover recovery

You are still healing. It can take up to 6 months for the swelling to go down. For now, be patient. And be aware of your salt intake as that can affect your swelling. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Significant swelling can be present seven weeks after liposuction mommy makeover.

There can be significant swelling at seven weeks so it's too early to become terribly concerned. Best to show the situation to your own surgeon for reassurance.

Still swollen 7 weeks after mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your liposuction with your mommy make-over.

• We can stay swollen for months after a mommy make-over with liposuction.
  • Assuming you haven't gained weight in terms of fat, then this will probably subside.
  • You can't be sure for another 4 months - but let your surgeon know of your concern.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

If you are unhappy I suggest speaking to your physician or getting a second opinion.  My patients see their results immediately.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Swelling after liposuction

At seven weeks out after liposuction, you are likely very swollen.  You have to give it time to settle down.

Surgery

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, I suggest you to be patient, because you're only two months post op, you're actually steel swollen

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Swelling after liposuction

Without before ore and after pictures it is hard to get an idea of how much surgery was done.  

The more surgery is done the longer the recovery.  Be patient and continue with the compression if you are experiencing persistent swelling.  Make sure you keep your f/u with your surgeon and express your concern.  You may have a seroma that your surgeon may have to address.

Best regards

Nagi T Ayoub MD, FACS

Nagi T. Ayoub, MD, FACS
Omaha Plastic Surgeon