I still have dizziness, numbness and pain since my facelift 8 months ago. What can I do?

It is close to nine months since my facelift. I have constant dizziness 24/7. When it is at a bad time I get very confused and can't think. I still have numbness and my head and neck hurts. I have been to 3 neurologists, one being at Wake Forrest Neurology. Also have been to an ENT. I'm getting VNG/ENG evaluation next month to address the dizziness. I'm scared since this does not heal. My plastic surgeon has no answers. Any help for me, please?

Dizziness 8 months after facelift

You have several issues.  It is great you are seeing someone regarding her dizziness.  He should offer you his opinion.

Regarding your numbness, this should be normal as your skin nerves regenerate in the facelifted regions.

Regarding your head hurting you would have to be more specific.  The Neurologist may offer advice.

Another consultation from another Plastic Surgeon would be appropriate.

Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Issues after facelift

Hi Charlieboy326,

I'm sorry that you are having those issues after your surgery. Those symptoms do not sound like they are related to facelift surgery. I think that getting the VNG/ENG is a good idea and that continued follow up with neurology is important.

Good luck!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dizziness after facelift surgery ​

Dear, Charlieboy.  I'm very sorry to hear that you've suffered with these symptoms since the facelift.  Without knowing the particular details of what exactly was done during your procedure (surgical maneuvers, anesthesia, etc.), I can only speculate as to the myriad causes of your dizziness.  The solution, of course, depends on the diagnosis.  

Dizziness is a symptom and requires further characterization by a specialist or even subspecialist.  Its symptoms can originate from problems related to the cardiovascular, vestibular (ear/balance center), and central nervous system.  You have certainly taken the appropriate initial steps as far as testing goes.  

If you haven't done so already, you might consider visiting with an ENT subspecialist called a neurotologist.  They are experts at characterizing dizziness and are well-connected with other specialists that manage this problem.  You can certainly also consider reaching out to internationally recognized institutions such as The Mayo Clinic or Johns Hopkins If you cannot find the help you need locally.  I wish you the best and hope you can quickly address this problem.

-Dr. Schmidt

As always, please remember that this response is for informational purposes only and does not constitute a patient-physician relationship.

Jeffrey L. Schmidt, MD
Englewood Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain after Facelift

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry you are having these issues after your facelift.  The pain and numbness you are experiencing I am hopeful will resolve with time.  Massage of this area may help, and some surgeons will inject a small amount of steroid into the painful areas, as well.

As far as the dizziness is concerned, I would be sure to discuss this with your primary care physician to be sure there is not another reason for this besides surgery.  While surgery can cause dizziness in the immediate post-operative time, I wouldn't expect it to last this long.  I agree with having a VNG to better delineate the cause of this.

I hope that this helps!
-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Posted Issues After Facelift

Than you for your question. Im sorry you are struggling postop for so long. Prolonged numbness and discomfort is possible and often massage and medications can alleviate some of these symptoms which almost always resolve over time. The dizziness should not be related to you facelift surgery and I agree an evaluation by an ENT is an excellent idea as well as a thorough exam by an Internist to look for other causes of dizziness. It is possible if you can get the pain to reduced and the numbness improved that you will feel much better. I would be sure that you have a thorough exam by medical doctor tp be safe and cover all bases
Best of Luck
DrG

Lee A. Gibstein, MD