Upper abdominal swelling after Tummy Tuck. Is 7 weeks too early to see this type of swelling? (Photo)

I am seven weeks postop mommy makeover. I had a full tummy tuck, Lipo, breast reduction and lift. I'm very happy with the results but I am concerned about the swelling after seeing some others photos. I wear spanx and my binder 24/7 unless showering. Is 7 weeks too early to see this type of swelling? I am not exercising yet and just do moderate activity. It does not get better or worse in the morning. Hoping to get some expert opinions on how this looks! Thanks!

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You should expect to have swelling for three to six months following tummy tuck surgery. Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Upper abdomen

This may be related to swelling, anatomy,  inadequate plication or visceral fat.  Best to give it more time to heal.

Swelling after tummy tuck

Thank you for the question! Judging by your photo alone, it is difficult to guarantee a reliable assessment of your concern and provide an individualized medical advice.  It is not uncommon to observe some swelling following a tummy tuck. Typically, swelling will occur as a result of seroma (a collection of fluid under skin). In some cases, it may take about 6 months for swelling to subside completely. Give it time, but if you experience persistent seroma, make sure to alert your plastic surgeon to your concerns. 

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon should be the best way to assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Upper abdominal swelling after Tummy Tuck. Is 7 weeks too early to see this type of swelling?

Your results look fine and this type of swelling is perfectly normal at this point after surgery. Continue to follow up with your surgeon. It will take 6 to 12 months before you achieve your final result.

Post op swelling

It isn't at all unusual to still be swollen at 7 weeks post a Mommy Makeover. It may take up to 6 months for your swelling to fully resolve. Continue to be patient and kind to yourself as your body heals. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

2 months post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (2 months post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Thank you for your question and photograph and congratulations on your surgery!  It is difficult without an in-person examination to determine what may be taking place.  Most commonly this is residual swelling from surgery which will spontaneously resolve but it would be important to voice your concerns to your surgeon to ensure that other issues are not taking place - discrete fluid collection, muscle laxity, or residual adipose tissue.  Hope this helps. 

Swelling after tummy tuck

It is still too early to see what the final result will be. You will need to wait around 6 months. Wearing a binder will still help, but if wearing it throughout the day is a problem then try just wearing it at night.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

7weeks post op

It is still early after surgery to determine your final results.

It will take 6 momths for the swelling to improve.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Upper abdominal swelling at 7 weeks after tummy tuck

It is probably too soon to comment on the upper abdominal swelling that you see at only 7 weeks after a tummy tuck.  The final appearance of a tummy tuck may not be apparent for 6 months.  It would be helpful to see pre-op photos to further assess your current result.  Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon