I am considering breast augmention with silicone implants. Please help me price out the average cost of silicone breast implants so i know what to expect.
How Much Do Silicone Breast Implants Cost?
Doctor Answers 31
How much do silicone breast implants cost?
In my practice, the price for breast augmentation is $7900.00 for Silicone breast implants. This price includes all pre and post-operative visits, pain control pump, a body garment, board certified anesthesiologist, operating room charges., etc.
When considering breast augmentation surgery, I believe that the most important question for a prospective patient to ask themselves is this: Am I seeking a natural-appearing result? If the answer is yes, then seek out a surgeon who has the same aesthetic sensibility that you have (and appropriate training and experience). And insist on seeing `before and after' photos. A lot of them.
I have never understood the desire on the part of patients or physicians (especially physicians) to create unnaturally large breasts. I see 'before and after' photos at plastic surgery meetings and I almost always find myself asking the question: What's the `big' idea?
I view breast augmentation as more than a breast enhancement surgery. It is a total body contouring surgery, and the breast profile that one creates with implants should match a patient's overall figure. It should appear completely plausible that the breasts have not been surgically enhanced. I want for my patient's appearance to make others think "Wow - what a great figure", not "I wonder who her plastic surgeon is".
It is also important to discuss the following with your plastic surgeon, and research yourself this information before selecting a plastic surgeon
1. Cohesive silicone gel vs. saline breast implants
2. How many cc's? - deciding on implant volume
3. Incision locations
4. Subpectoral vs prepectoral implant position
5. Attention to detail in breast augmentation
6. Breast augmentation after pregnancy
7. Special considerations: asymmetry, tuberous/constricted breasts, etc
8. Recovery and downtime
9. Avoiding capsular contracture
10.Revisional breast augmentation surgery
Detailed information about each of the above items can be found on my website and on the website of other plastic surgeons who perform a great deal of breast augmentation surgery.
In order not have any surprises with the price of surgery, ask if there are additional potential chages for pre or post-operative visits, pain control devices,or garments. Be sure that there are no additional charges for office visits. There should never be a charge for an office visit if a patient has a concern. In fact, most plastic surgeons want to see you if you have a concern.Ask if the fee you have been given includes the O.R. staff , equipment and supplies including pain pumps, garments, and of course a board certified anesthesiologist.
Please do not make your decision on the plastic surgeon based on who has the lowest price without looking at the whole picture and taking your time researching to find the right plastic surgeon for you. Always, ask to see many, many photographs, speak to patients and ask your own physician about any plastic surgeon you are considering.
Of course, be sure your plastic surgeon is certified by the American Bard of Plastic Surgery, and ideally is a member of The American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
Try not to select your surgeon based on breast implant cost
The cost for breast augmentation will vary across the country and even vary within each city. The total cost of the procedure will include the surgeon's fees, the facility fees, the anesthesia fees, the implant fees and perhaps the lab fees. Each situation is different. Some surgeons may operate in their own office based operating room and others may do the surgery in a free standing surgery center. Some may use a nurse anesthetist while others an anesthesiologist. So many variables. Anyway, gererally speaking, the cost of silicone implants are about $1000 more than the cost of saline implants.
Cost of Implants
Thanks for your question -
Silicone implant pricing typically costs about $1000 more than saline implants. Most of this cost is the difference in price between silicone implants and saline.
The two major manufacturers of implants in the US (Mentor and Allergan) have similar pricing for the saline and silicone products.
Breast augmentation in the Bay Area (my practice is in the San Francisco area) ranges from about $6500 - $8000.
I hope this helps.
You might also like...
How Much Do Silicone Breast Implants Cost?
Our fees include all charges for the pre-operative assessment, professional fees for surgery and anesthesia, one overnight stay in our facility, and all follow-up visits, in addition to the cost of any medications and supplies needed during the operation.
I kindly ask you not to forget that looking for the lowest price is not the best approach when it concerns surgery.
I hope this helps
Cost of Silicone Breast Implants
Breast Augmentation Costs
The cost is variable and is based on what is done, the type of implant, and geographic variability. Quoted fees may or may not include facility, anesthesia, and implant costs.
A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option and provide you a custom quote for your situation. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.
In the Midwest US, Silicone Implants range from $4800 to $8500
Generally, surgeons who operate in dedicated outpatient cosmetic surgery facilities are able to offer lower facility fees than those who operate in hospital-based practices. The surgeon’s fee can vary as well depending on regional differences and levels of local competition.
Anesthetic fees can vary and this may be related to the use of nurse anesthetist versus a physician anesthesiologist. Finally, there may be wide variations in implant charges depending upon the type of implant chosen. For instance, silicone implants cost $1,000 to $1,500 more than saline implants.
When all of these variables are considered, fees in the Midwestern United States vary between $4,800 and $8,500. It’s important to remember that although price is an important component of your decision, it’s not the only consideration. Make sure you have a comfort level with your surgeon’s experience and reputation and their ability to communicate with you.
Breast Implant Costs
In looking at the a price quote for breast augmentation, you should consider many variables.
1. The Surgeon's Fee. This can vary widely depending on the experience and results and thus demand for that surgeon. This also sometimes depends on technique. For example, a sub-muscular placement of an implant is much faster and thus takes less work for the surgeon than a sub-fascial placement of the implant that takes twice as long.
2. The Implant. The breast implant price depends on using a saline, memory gel, or highly cohesive (gummybear) implants. Usually saline implants cost about $1,000 for a pair, memory gel $2,000, and highly cohesive $3,000. If fat is used instead of an implant, then usually a fat harvest charge is used instead of implant fee as liposuction supplies are used and the fat purified in a variety of methods. The size of the implant does not matter, only the type of implant. If a dermal matrix is needed then there is an additional charge (usually about $1,000). In revisions, often the same implant can be used which saves on the implant costs. If a breast lift alone is performed, then obviously there is no implant cost.
3. Anesthesia. This can vary as well. If a board certified anesthesiologist is used then the price is higher. If a CRNA (nurse anesthetist) then the price is lower. It is even lower when a doctor just uses a non-certified anesthetist nurse, or just a medical assistant to push the anesthetic drugs (yes, this actually does happen).
4. Facility Fee. This can vary if the surgeon is using a certified surgery center or hospital vs. his non-certified office.
These four components make the total price, so it is best to break these down so the patient knows exactly what she is getting.
Realself has an average cost for each city.
Pablo Prichard, MD
Here's the question you really need to ask...
See my post below.
Varies greatly on surgeon
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.