How Much Weight Do Breast Implants Add?

I'm 5'7", 160 lbs, and I want to go to a 36D cup size. I'd like to know how much weight I'll gain once I have breast implants.

How much do breast implants weigh?

To answer this question, I'd need to know what size implants you are getting and whether they were saline or silicone gel. You can do the math like this:

1. Add the numbers of ccs in your right and left implants.
2. If you have saline implants, multiply the resulting number by .0325 (the weight of one ounce of saline). If they are silicone, multiply by .0375. 
3. Add 1.5 (the weight of the 2 implant shells in ounces).
4. Divide by 16 (to convert from ounces to pounds).

This is when you are glad you paid attention in high school math! 

As an example, if you have 400 cc saline implants, they would add 1.72 pounds to your body.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

#BreastImplantWeight

For Silicone implants 500 cc's is about a pound (so a pair of these would be about 2 pounds). Saline implants are only slightly heavier.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

How much do implants weigh?

I agree with the doctor. So you can do the calculations yourself:

1000 cc=2.2 pounds

Take the cc volume of the implant and multiply by 2.2. Divide that number by 1000 and this equals the weight, in pounds, of the implant. For example, 350cc implant. Multiply by 2.2 equals 770. Divide 770 by 1000, equals 0.77 pounds.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

The Amount of Weight Gain is Dependent Upon the Size of Breast Implants Used

It’s not unusual for prospective breast augmentation patients to worry about the weight of their new breast implants. They worry that breast enlargement may create some of the symptoms that are frequently associated with breast hypertrophy such as back and neck pain.

The amount of weight gain that occurs following breast augmentation is dependent upon the size of the breast implants utilized. In general terms, one cc equals one gram and there are 454 grams in a pound. Therefore, two 450 cc implants would result in a two pound weight gain.

Implants in this size range are easily tolerated by most patients and aren’t associated with back or neck pain. This is especially true when implants are placed beneath the muscle. Under these circumstances, the muscle provides added support for the implant. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Weight and Cup Sizes

Cup sizes cannot be guaranteed. And the amount of volume to get a woman from one cup size to another varies from person to person.

Think about just how wide a range you see in women’s body types, shapes, and frames. That’s why the base width diameter in women can range from 9.5 cm to 16.5 cm.

A smaller implant gets filled up with less volume. It’s common sense. If your BWD is 11 cm, the high profile implant will have 265 cc’s. If your BWD is 14 cm, the high profile implant will have 605 cc’s.

In other words, 265 cc’s and 605 cc’s will have the similar cup size for a difference in BWD. The cc is relative to BWD.

Therefore, in order to know how much weight an implant will add, you need to work with raw cc numbers and do a calculation; you cannot work based on cup size increases.

This is how you do the calculation for converting cc’s to pounds. For one implant, take the number of cc’s times 2.2, divided by 1000. Multiply this result by 2 to get the weight for both implants, if they are the same size.

No responsible plastic surgeon will give you implants heavy enough to cause neck and back pain.

I hope that answers your question on implant weight. It’s great that you’re doing this research. I always say that the best patients are informed patients.

You might also want to research your options for breast implants. Choosing the right implant is the number one concern among women considering breast augmentation. Did you know, there’s actually a way to select a implant shape, size, and profile that is perfect for you?

A term that I use with my patients for the perfect implant is the “Pony Implant”.

So what do I mean by “perfect”? Well, a Pony Implant has three qualities to it. First, the implant meets your beauty goals. For example, you want to your breasts to look fuller while still appearing natural.

Second, when you chose your Pony Implant, you walk out of your consultation 100% confident that you’ve chosen the right shape and size for you. In other words, you won’t be second guessing your decision, and you won’t be afraid of having gone too big or too small.

And third, after your procedure, you are thrilled with your results, and say, "I’m so happy. This is exactly what I wanted!"

That’s the Pony Implant. And the great news is that there is a simple process to go about finding yours.

This issue of selecting the right implant is so important when it comes to patient satisfaction or dissatisfaction that, again, I really encourage you to learn more about it.

Thank you for reading and best of luck on your journey!

William Rahal, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

It is a matter of volume

By and large a 250cc implant will weigh approximately 1/2 pound. We measure in the metric system and a basic correlation is 2.2 pounds per kilogram or liter. Silicone implants are less dense than water and actually weigh a little less by mass. Unless you are augmented with pretty large implants, your weight won't change that much.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS