How much does the extra skin weigh? (photos)

I'm just curious as to what the average weight the skin is that is removed during a tummy tuck? I'm about 25 lbs over weight. I am 5'1'' and 150lbs. This is a recent picture of me, I know you can't tell me an exact number but maybe an estimate, or an average? Thank you!

How Much Does My Overhanging Tummy Flab Weigh?

Your question is very common and understandable.

The short answer, as a guess I would say between 2 to 4 pounds depending on how tight the surgeons repairs the muscles and how much he removes. From your photo, it is my opinion that you may benefit from Liposuction of the Back which not only would remove more weight but give the buttocks/Waist a much nicer contour than can be achieved with only an Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck).

When performing Tummy Tucks I routinely have the removed skin/fat weighed to be able to tell my patients the exact amount we removed. I also photograph it and share it with them.

Good Luck.

Peter Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN

Excised Skin Weight

It is sometimes hard to guess, but from looking at your photo, I would say that the ellipse of skin that is removed would be 3 to 4 pounds.  Certaily not greater than 5 pounds.

Thansk,

Gordon Telepun, MD

Gordon M. Telepun, MD
Decatur Plastic Surgeon

Skin weight

Good Morning!

Looking at your photos you would be a great candidate for an abdomnoplasty, and your question about skin weight is a common one.  People are always so suprised when I tell them how much the skin excised weighs because it does not sound like very much- I would estimate yours being about 3 pounds.  Please remember however that losing three pounds in one isolated spot is a lot different than losing three pounds over the entire body- it is a much more drastic change.  Also remember that if you are seeing a surgeon that does liposuction with the abdominoplasty you will be losing weight by fat loss as well.

I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS

How much does the extra skin weigh?

Sure the average is between 2 to 6 pounds as a pure over the internet guess. Best to see a few boarded PSs i your area/city... 

Not much

Skin is not a heavy part of our anatomy, otherwise we would collapse.

Don't expect losing more than 800grs. or 2 lbs

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

How much does the extra skin weigh?

It's impossible to tell from a picture or even from an exam how much the extra skin will weigh.  However, with a full tummy tuck, you are likely to have several pounds removed especially if adjunct liposuction is done.  Take care and good luck.

Shayne Webb, MD

One cannot predict weight of skin from a photo

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

It is not possible to tell you the weight of your skin from the photo.
The weight of skin removed from a tummy tuck ranges from a half-pound, even less to 20 pounds or more.
Your skin is likely to be at the low end of the scale.

If you expect to lose significant weight from the skin removal, you will probably be disappointed.

With respect to your weight, check with your regular doctor as to your ideal weight.
At 5.1, 125 pounds sounds heavy for most people.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

A couple of pounds at most

It's hard to say how much the skin removed would weigh. It would probably be just a couple of pounds at most.

Ronald Levine, MD

Weight of skin

The extra skin does not usually weigh that much.  It typically weighs between 3 and 8 pounds.  Of course some patients have larger pieces of skin removed, but on average, I would guess you would have a 3 pound piece of skin removed.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Weight of Skin Removed

While the excess skin and fat removed may only weigh a few pounds, it will look as though you have lost much more.  Even measurements can be deceiving, so I rarely tell patients what their new dress size will be.

The best way to judge the way you might look is to look at other photos of patients who look like you !

Best

Dr L

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS