Is a cat scratch enough to puncture an implant? (photos)

My indoor cat scratched my upper right breast. I'm 9 months post op with hp under the muscle. It broke the surface of my skin and you can see blood but it's not dripping or anything. Could this have affected my implant? It seems superficial but should I be concerned? I put neosporin on it.

Cat scratch

Good news.  The cat scratch is extremely unlikely to have damaged anything.  Carry on with your use of normal cleaning, and polysporin until the scratch has healed.  Report any fever or spreading redness on the skin to your local physician.

Good luck!

Is a cat scratch enough to puncture an implant?

Based on your photograph and description it is very unlikely that the cat scratch could have affected your breast implant.  However cat scratches should be cleansed and treated with antibiotic solution because there is an entity called cat scratch fever which is infection caused by the cat scratch.  I would see your primary care physician for advice.

Absolutely not. This scratch looks extremely superficial. best to treat it with some neosporin and a band aid. Implants are well protected by breast tissue and muscle. You should be fine. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

No

Very unlikely to have any issues there, it looks very superficial. Plus, with unders your implant is very well protected. Ointment is best and sun avoidance.

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD

Cat scratch

Thanks for your inquiry, and I do not think your cat could hit an under the muscle implant.  Regardless, make sure you keep the wound clean because the wound can still get infected,  good luck.  

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Cat scratch

it would be extremely unlikely to ever have any affect on your implants with a superficial small scratch. Implants are generally place deeper and lower on the chest wall so I think that you would be  very unlikely that the implants were damaged from such a superficial appearing scratch.   You should be treating it like any other scratch wash it good with soap and water and you can apply triple anabiotic if you develop redness around the area or other issues then you would want to contact your primary care provider to be evaluated.

Jonathan Amspacher, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

No

The implant at that location is much deeper. I did have a waitress fall on a fork and pop her implant  which may have saved her from puncturing a lung. You should be fine!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon