Can I put my nipple piercings back in after BA?

I'm 1 week post op and I would like to put my nipple piercings back in before they close. I just want to know if it's safe to do that. Thank you!

Nipple Piercing After Breast Augmentation Surgery

Thank you for your inquiry. Typically 3 weeks post surgery should be enough time to put your piercing back depending of the type of incision technique used for your surgery. Be sure to follow up with your surgeon to assure proper healing prior to putting your piercing back in, it is my recommendation to wait until breast is completely healed. Hope this helped!

After breast augmentation: Can I put my nipple piercings back in?

If my patients didn't use plastic spacers during their breast augmentation surgery, I allow them to replace their nipple piercings right after surgery if they desire. However, it's always best to check with your surgeon's protocol. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

When can i place nipple piercings back?

Thank you for your question. Normally there shouldn´t be any problem to place your piercing back after your surgery, but it will also depend on the technique used so the best option is to follow your chosen surgeon´s instructions. It is always best to wait until everything is healed to avoid infections or any other issue. 

Nipple piercing

thank you for your question.

I recommend you to ask your PS because based on the technique he used he could tell you what can effect your or not.

Best of luck.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

This is a question which you should ask your plastic surgeon and not rely on Internet advice. I have seen a patient from another practice who had her nipples pierced soon after breast augmentation and she developed a severe almost life-threatening infection which required emergency surgery to remove her implants.

Since her nipples are already pierced there is less risk but if the piercing tract is nicked or opened it would be a risk.  Please discuss this with your plastic surgeon and in my practice I would wait until your incisions are healed at 6 weeks.

Nipple piercing

i suggest patients leave them out for at least 3 weeks, and consider not putting them back at all in order to reduce long term risk of infection and possibly contaminating the implant 

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

Should be OK

Swelling is most significant around 3 days post, but can continue to around 2 weeks. You should be OK but just check in with your MD.

This is ultimately going to depend on your surgeons preference so it is best to ask him or her if it is ok yet. For me a week should be enough time but it also depend the type of incision, if there is any swelling in the area and if recovery is going well.

Best of luck on your recovery,

Dr. Miguel Mota

Miguel Mota, MD

This is a question to ask your chosen operative surgeon since we do not know your medical/surgical history!

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure; your plastic surgeon will have very specific thoughts regarding your question.  In my practice, I would likely recommend the use of sterile "spacers" as you heal (the concern of course is the potential for infection). Best wishes.