Hate my binder, will my muscle repair be alright if I don't wear it??? Any advice?

I'm two weeks out from TT w muscle repair and lipo to flanks..... I cant tolerate my binder anymore. hate spanx/feeling really depressed about it. I called my PS and they advised me to tough it out but I'm miserable. I am just afraid of damaging my muscle repair. I can live with the swelling taking longer to subside. I've had a cough which started a few days after sx but I'm not sick so now I cough occasionally. Will my muscle repair be alright??? Any advice....I'm down and discouraged right now

Thank you for your question.  It is best to wear the binder or another type of compression garment till advised differently from your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  

Binders are a good thing.

Good morning!Binders are not fun- but they are necessary in my opinion during the early healing phase of abdominoplasty surgery to protect any fascial repair that was performed.  Tension needs to be taken off the suture line while scar tissue forms that will lead to a nice flat abdomen.  If that suture line is disrupted, you will never be as flat as you would have been otherwise.My advice is to contact your surgeons nurse and be sure you are wearing it properly- many times patients are not wearing it as designed and can lead to discomfort and even abrasions on the skin.  Also ask your doctor if there is an alternative type of garment that he/she may allow you to wear soon.  I hope this helps

Robert Steely, MD, FACS

Binder after TT

if your skin is sensitive because of the binder, try a larger size. Too tight is definitely a no-no as it may affect skin circulation. If its sensitvity, and its ok with your surgeon, you might try Aleve twice daily for a few days and see if that helps.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon

Binder discomfort

There are other options for "binders" or garments that are more comfortable. Often those provided by surgicenters and hospitals are inexpensive but effective.  It sounds like you may be wearing it too tight.  It should support your abdomen with modest pressure to the point it actually provides some comfort from your muscle repair.  Often returning to your physician for advice or asking one of the nurses at the practice for suggestions is helpful.  Most surgeons advocate use though there is no high level scientific evidence to support use or disuse.  On a lighter note, you are at the 2 week mark which is usually a turning point after a tummy tuck, I hope you continue to progress.  Best of luck in your continued healing.

No compression necessary

I do not use compression or binders after tummy tuck until the wounds and flaps are stable at one month.  If the binder is tight before then, it will collapse the veins. If the veins are collapsed, then there is no outflow. If there is no outflow, there can be no inflow. No inflow from the arteries means no oxygen. No oxygen means no healing. No healing means wound dehiscence (opening) and failure.