Asian Rhinoplasty for tip refinement. (photos)

I'm an Asian descent. I have a bulbous nose tip with thick skin. I want to reduce the size of it and refine it. I'm not looking for a very dramatic change, still want to keep it natural.. Am I a good candidate for rhinoplasty? Are there any suggestions? Thanks!

Asian rhinoplasty looking natural

There is no question that you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty.  I would recommend an all autogenous (your natural tissue) rhinoplasty without the use of an silicone implant.  You may require ear cartilage and a deep temporalis fascia graft to build the dorsum.  Alar base excisions are also key to a great result!

Rhinoplasty , some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. Good candidates for rhinoplasty include anyone who feels that their nose does not fit with the rest of their face due to size or shape. A rhinoplasty can address the tip through refinement measures. Please keep in mind that natural-looking results are always the goal of facial plastic surgery. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Rhinoplasty: Nasal Tip Refinement is an option with a natural post-surgical result

Hello:

Thank you for your question. You concern regarding your nose is not uncommon, especially for those of Asian descent. As a specialist in rhinoplasty surgery as it pertains to ethnic rhinoplasty, I can tell you that these are the most common issues I hear patients discuss with me regarding their reasons for wanting to alter the appearance of their nose while still maintaining their ethnic identity:

Asian rhinoplasty patients discuss their dissatisfaction with the following: 

• Flat nasal profile
  • Slight nasal bridge
  • Flared nostrils
  • Wide nasal tip
  • Poor nasal tip strength

I employ specialized surgical techniques for Asian Rhinoplasty and my number one goal is to have a unified vision with my patient. I do not want to harm a patient's ethnic identity, however, I want to allow for each patient achieve the very best results they can and that occurs by having a highly personalized and customized surgical plan. I have over two decades of experience in facial plastic surgery and am able to preserve the ethnic characteristics of my patients while delivering the results they desire. 

When selecting a rhinoplasty surgeon, it is of the utmost importance that you choose a surgeon who is board certified in facial plastic surgery. Board certification matters. Especially, when you are considering ethnic rhinoplasty. You want your face and nose in the hands of an experienced and qualified surgeon. 

I am including a website link about Asian Rhinoplasty as well as video that discusses in detail the specifics of this procedure. I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to reach out to our New York City office if we can help answer any questions you might have in your decision making process.

Sincerely,

Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS

Double Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS

Asian rhinoplasty - thick skin

As you have noted, the thickness of your skin will limit the amount of refinement that is possible with the tip of your nose during rhinoplasty.  The challenge with thick skin is that even if definition is created to the nose and cartilage underneath the skin, these changes will not show through the skin.  In these cases additional support and structure is necessary to create definition in the tip of the nose.  Using grafts made from your own cartilage will be the best approach for a natural-appearing, lasting result.  

Consult with an experienced Asian rhinoplasty specialist and look carefully at his/her Before/Afters to find a surgeon with the aesthetic that matches yours.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Asian Rhinoplasty and refining the tip

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to improve the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance.

Frequently, Asian patients may be looking to refine the shape of their nose. The major factor to consider is the thick skin on the Asian nose. To create refinement, the skin needs to be put on stretch with stiff cartilage grafts. This will likely require rib cartilage. I would recommend consulting with a surgeon who understands the proportions of the Asian face, the skin issue, and rib grafting. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon