How soon after a thigh lift will I be able to climb the stairs in my house?

Stairs And Recovery

The majority of patients have staircases in their homes that must be negotiated in the post-operative period. Under these circumstances, getting up and down these steps is simply unavoidable.

When this situation arises, it's important to be cautious when using stairways. It's important to move slowly and always use a hand rail. In the immediate post-operative period, assistance from your caregiver is appropriate. Although the use of stairs following surgery is often unavoidable, it should definitely be minimized whenever possible. If you live in a home with a large number of stairs, it's appropriate to discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon in the pre-operative period. Your surgeon should be able to discuss how stairs will impact your post-operative course.

Climbing stairs after thigh lift

Every plastic surgeon has a different protocol after surgical procedures. For my patients I would suggest no stairs for at least two weeks after your medial thigh lift. Stairs put an undo pressure on the inner thigh. This excessive pressure can cause the incision to tear and open. Even after two weeks minimal stair activity is encouraged. Depending on your healing, at approximately six weeks you should be able to go up and down the stairs at will.

Climbing Stairs After Procedure

Thank you for your question. Allow yourself a couple of weeks and get clearance from your surgeon. Pulling the suture line apart is a risk.I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

I think that this will depend upon the type of thigh lift and how often the incisions are subjected to stress.  I would search for the surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results. Look at reviews and before and after pictures on that surgeon's website.

Climbing stairs after thigh lift procedure

You should be able to climb your stairs slowly, the night of surgery. The repair should not be stressed with exercise in the early postoperative recovery period, but stairs are ok.
Good luck with the surgery and best of luck.

Climbing stairs after thigh lift.

I would defer to your surgeon on this. Climbing stairs is usually not very stressful but you would need help to make sure you don't fall. It also depends on how many stairs etc. So review it with your surgeon and show him a picture of your stairs. Best, 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Thigh lift and Activity: Early ambulation with compression.

There are numerous thigh lift techniques which can be customized for the amount and location of excess inner thigh skin. The different thigh lifts vary by incision location and length. For most inner thigh lift procedures, early ambulation with a compression garment in advisable, which includes climbing stairs. Ambulation and stair climbing with assistance should be possible the day after surgery.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD