Will Hot Compresses Breakdown Fatty Tissue Under Eyelids?

My Dr tells me I have excess fatty tissue under my eyelids. He said to use hot compresses to breakdown this fatty tissue. Everything I have read in my research says the only way to deal with this is surgery. He never mentioned surgery. I don't know what to do and could use some more information.

Hot compresses and fat reduction?

I like hot showers, and I have yet to see my love handles go away!  The only way to remove fat around the eyes is to excise it.

Will heat reduce under-eye bags?

Many people believe that warm compresses can reduce swelling or edema (fluid) under the eyes.  It will not influence the fat under the eyes.  The best way to address lower eyelid fat pouches is with surgical blepharoplasty or in some cases they can be disguised with injectable fillers. A consultation with a cosmetic surgeon that specializes in eyelid procedures, such as an oculoplastic surgeon will be of benefit. Good luck! 

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

#EyelidFatNonSurgicalTreatment

Hot compresses will not help and temporarily may cause edema making your appearance even worse for a few hours. Although blepharoplasty surgery is the only treatment that is long lasting there are a few things you can do that are of temporary help. Make sure you have an exam to make sure that you do not have weak eye muscles, ptosis, as your cause by an exam by a board certified specialist.

Lower lids: Ceramide creams for the lower lids which in minutes as they dry the clear membrane tightens the lower lid skin minimizing bags and wrinkles. This lasts from 4-8 hrs and can be reapplied as needed. Radiofrequency, laser and peels tighten the skin with minimal downtime. Fillers for fat transfer #lipoinjection, to the lower lid to fill in the cheek-lid depression that casts shadows also helps many.

For the upper lids, Botox in the crows feet area just below the brow will gently lift the lateral brow and lift a bit of the hooding on the side of your eye. This lasts about 3-4 months. Make sure you go to an expert injector associated with a Plastic Surgeon, Facial Plastic Surgeon, Dermatologist, or Ophthalmologist skilled in injections.

#EyelidFatFix
#NonSurgicalEyelidFatFix

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

No Effect on Fat

The amount of fat around your eyes will not decrease by applying hot compresses. The only thing that this may help is to reduce any swelling (caused by trapped fluids) that could exist in the area.

Don't do it

It's unusual that your surgeon would suggest this, since it is not effective and could be very dangerous. Not only do you run the risk of serious burns, you probably won't do anything to help "break down" the fat there.

To remove fatty deposits in this delicate area, surgery is your only option.

Hot compresses will have no effect on fatty tissue-except to get you wet!

I can't imagine what your doctor was thinking!  Hot compresses will not reduce fatty tissue under the eyes.  Seaweed or cucumber facials would temporarily tighten the skin for that special event but would not improve your condition either.  The only way to reduce the fatty tissue is by surgical excision OR, if the problem is that you have lost volume in your mid-cheeks which is creating the impression of bulges under the eyes, facial filler may be an alternative.  You need a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can make a recommendation for you and discuss options. 

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Fat pads in eyelids and appropriate treatment

i am not aware of heat helping.   they can be removed.  lasered , cauterized, transposed but generally surgery is needed

Hot compresses to melt fat

I do not think the hot compresses will help, the degree of heat needed to damage the fat would first damage your cornea and vision.

Julio Garcia, MD

Treatment of lower eyelid fat

I ha in looking better.

I have never heard of a recommendation to use hot water on eyelids to remove the fat!  The only way to reduce the fat that is commonly seen in the lower lids will be to perform surgery.  Sometimes fat may be redistributed or repositioned along the lower lids to fill in hollow areas below the lid margins, but more commonly excessive amounts of fat are removed by a traditional lower lid blepharoplasty. This is a prime example why second and third opinions may be invaluable before you settle on a surgeon to assist you in looking better.

Good luck.

You have stirred many answers from the expert posters. Guess the hot/warm compresses idea is something you should teach your surgeon not to offer.