Is my plan for plus size tummy tuck realistic and would I have good results? (Photo)

I have been researching the tummy tuck procedure. I am 33 years old and have had 1 pregnancy and birth and am at my highest weight ever including when I was pregnant. My current weight is about 240lbs and I am 5'9. My goal is to work really hard over the next few months to get my weight down to at least 200 lbs or BMI of 30 and then go for my tummy tuck consultation. Does this seem like a reasonable goal and can I expect good results? Would I be a good candidate for a tummy tuck?

REVIEWING your photos combined with your plan to loose weight make you a very good candidate for TT with liposuction of the flanks. Though you are providing pics at this time, you will be better served to be reevaluated by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon at the time you feel you've reached your desired weight.

Tummy tuck

Dear Bumsanta,    Thanks for submitting your pictures. From observing your pictures, you appear to have skin and muscles laxity from the chest bone to the pubic bone with significant skin folds. Your current BMI is 35 and your ideal weight is 170 lbs with BMI of 25. It is not easy to lose weight and I recommend to all my overweight patients, to read the book 'sugar busters' (best seller) and follow it's recommendation. It is not a diet book, but rather a life style change. I, myself, lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks , 18 years ago and kept it off.   Based on your pictures and my experience of over 29 years in practice with well over 1000 tummy tuck surgeries, if , when you lie down on your back ,your stomach is flat, you are an excellent candidate for tummy tuck even now. Most likely, the procedure will help you to lose significant amount of weight due to the muscles tightening , which will reduce the amount of food that you can eat and your sense of hunger. Many of my patients lost over 30 pounds in 4-6 weeks after surgery. You will end up with flat stomach, tight and youthful skin, nice belly button and improved body posture. This surgery, will be one of the best investment in yourself. It will increase your confidence, your sense of self esteem, your sense of femininty and will make shopping great fun...   Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with low scar, flat stomach and nice belly button. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf for ratings and positive experience reports.                            Best of luck,                                                  Dr Widder

Tummy tuck

thanks for your question and I hope you had a nice summer. I also hope your time with your child is going great. A lot of changes you see in your belly are from having a child. Your situation is very common and you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction to narrow your waist. You can do this now or later after weight loss. You will do great and have a great result. Seek a board certified plastic surgeon who performs many tummy trucks and can show you a large photo gallery of work. Best wishes.

Top 5 Characteristics of a Good Tummy Tuck Candidate

It appears as though you're an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck as I believe you meet (or will eventually meet) these top 5 characteristics of a good tummy tuck candidate:1.  Motivated - Getting surgery is just the beginning!  Staying motivated by eating a healthy diet (moderation is key) and following a good exercise routine is vital to maintaining those amazing tummy tuck results.2.  At or close to your goal weight - being here allows you to get the most out of your procedure by allowing the surgeon to take off as much skin as possible while tightening the abdominal muscles as well.3.  Excess skin - having excess skin around the lower belly allows the surgeon to remove that extra apron of skin to contour the belly into a shape that is as flat as possible.4.  Loose abdominal muscles - when the abdominal muscles are loose it's hard to keep your belly flat.  A tummy tuck allows the surgeon to tighten these muscles giving a flatter, more shapely abdomen.5.  Healthy - make sure you quit smoking before your procedure and also make sure that you're cleared by your primary care doctor to ensure a safe surgery and recovery.Thank you for your question!Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.  You are doing great.  You will be great candidate for a tummy tuck with your further weight loss.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question.  You have the right plan.  It is best to have a tummy tuck when you are at your goal weight and your weight has been stable for several months.  You don't want to have the tummy tuck and then lose weight and then have more loose skin, or put on weight and have a suboptimal result.  You should have a great result after you lose the weight and have the tummy tuck.  Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon.  All the best, 

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

A reasonable goal

It sounds like you are on the right track! A BMI under 30 is ideal in order to have a good result from a tummy tuck, not to mention, it is also safer for you when undergoing general anesthesia. In fact, many plastic surgeons require a BMI under 30 in order to perform the surgery. The results will definitely be better if you can achieve this goal and maintain the weight.  Good luck with your weight loss!

John S. Lee, MD

Tummy Tuck Candidate

Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) is a plastic surgery procedure designed to flatten the abdomen by removing excess skin and fat, and to tighten the abdominal wall. Women and men who have excess skin and/or fat around the abdomen which does not respond to diet and exercise are candidates for abdominoplasty. Many patients complain that they cannot flatten their abdominal muscles through exercise, which also means a tummy tuck may be right for them. Abdominoplasty candidates have: ·       excess abdominal skin which may sag ·       a disproportionate or protruding abdomen ·       weakened or separated abdominal muscles ·       excess fat concentrated in the abdomen Other tummy tuck patients may recently have lost a lot of weight and need to have excess skin and tissue removed. Many women choose to have an abdominoplasty following pregnancy. Older patients may be candidates for a tummy tuck due to reduced skin elasticity, family traits, age, immobility.

Plus size tummy tuck

Thank you for the question and photos.  Plus size tummy tuck results can be very gratifying if designed and planned properly.  I would live a lifestyle that would allow you to lose some of the weight that you want but also be able to maintain after your surgery.  My recommendation is to seek consultation with several board certified plastic surgeons in your community and get their recommendations.  Some plastic surgeons do not like doing plus side tummy tuck surgery so be cautious about getting advice that a tummy tuck cannot be done until all the weight is lost.All the best,Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy Tuck Plan

You are headed in the right direction.  Loosing as much weight as possible is the first step in getting the best result with a tummy tuck.  It appears from your photos that you have a relatively flat abdominal wall which will also help you get the best result with this surgery. You might consider liposuction of the flank area with the tummy tuck to blend in the new, flatter profile of the abdomen with the back and lateral areas of your torso.  Good luck with your plan!