Hematoma in Breast - Will It Clear Up on Its Own?

doctor has told me that it should clear up on its own should i be worried its making my sternum hurt?

Hematomas often resolve but sometimes need surgery.

The majority of small hematomas will resolve overtime on their own. They start as a firm area and soften over a few weeks. Ultimately, they are absorbed by the body and leave no discernible deficit. For large hematomas, particularly around implants, an operation is usually necessary to remove them. This is because very large hematomas may never go away completely and can lead to issues such as infection, capsular contracture, or firmness in the breast.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma After Breast Surgery

A hematoma, if it is not large enough to cause vascular compromise to your skin and or cause numbness or tingling in your arms, will eventually resolve.

You may, however, be at higher risk for capsular contracture.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma

It would seem unlikely that you have a hematoma as both breasts are relatively the same size and shape. If unsure see your plastic surgeon for a follow up examination. A small hematoma will resolve on its own a larger hematoma must be drained to prevent future complications. 

Breast hematoma presentation

Thank you for your question. A hematoma can be very mild or very pronounced in its presentation. A mild one may induce slightly more swelling and increased bruising and will likely resolve on its own. A more severe hematoma can result in dramatic asymmetry in terms of swelling, feelings of light headedness due to loss of blood, severe bruising, and can be rapidly growing. If you every experience the latter, then I would contact your surgeon immediately and if you have trouble, you may even go to the ER.

Hematomas

Postoperative bleeding and resultant hematoma formation can occur with any cosmetic breast procedure. When this situation arises, the management of hematomas is dependent upon a multitude of variables. The type of breast procedure, the location of the hematoma, the size of the hematoma, and the presence of an implant are all extremely important factors.

The significance of hematomas in patients who have undergone breast lift or breast reduction surgery is often dependent upon the size of the hematoma. When hematomas are small it’s not unusual for them to resolve on their own without treatment. Under these circumstances the vast majority of patients heal without residual deformities.

Large hematomas may require surgical drainage. When untreated, these hematomas may become encapsulated and form a firm mass. In some cases, untreated hematomas can result in excess scarring and distortion of the breasts. For this reason large hematomas should be surgically drained whenever possible,

When hematomas develop following breast augmentation surgery, significant secondary complications can occur. Under these circumstances undrained hematomas can result in pain, breast distortion, capsular contractures, implant displacement, and infection. For this reason, hematomas following breast augmentation should be drained as soon as possible.

If you’ve developed a hematoma following cosmetic breast surgery it’s important to consult your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your problem.

Hematoma after Augmentation

Anytime there is a change in the breast size, I ask my patient to immediately notify me, such that I can perform an in office examination.   

I would recommend immediate contact with your plastic surgeon as I am concerned by your pain, which is characteristic of a hematoma.   This may require operative intervention to control bleeding, prevent infection, and minimize risk of capsular contracture.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Hematome of the breast

Whether it will clear with no after effects depends on the size.If the breast is hard and rigid it is better to remove it.If it is small and localized you should do fine.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast hematoma treatment

If you truly have a significant breast hematoma and if you have implants, you need it drained so you have less chance of getting a capsular contracture.

Hematomas and breast augmentation

My preference is to surgically evacuate any hematomas of significance around a breast implant.  Studies show a much higher rate of capsular contractures later, if this is not done.

Hematoma after Breast Augment

It depends upon the size of the hematoma. A large and possibly expanding hematoma in the early post operative period should be surgically treated. A small, non expanding hematoma occurring a few weeks after surgery can be treated with observation. However, you should understand that this will greatly increase the risk of capsular contracture which may require eventual surgical treatment.

If you simply have bruising associated with the surgery, then this can safely be treated with observation and shouldn't't cause any long term problems.

Mark Preston, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon