Help! My nose has changed shape?

The tip of my nose has always moved up and down when I speak/smile and there's always been a very slight (hardly noticeable) bump at the bridge. Recently I've noticed (and others have too) that this bump has become much more pronounced and there appears to be a small dip between the bump and the tip.What would cause this and will it get back to its normal shape on its own?I live in a rural area where there are no cosmetic surgeons.I plan to see my GP but not quite sure what he'd be able to do.

Doctor Answers 5


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You need to see a plastic surgeon to be properly evaluated for your nose. A GP does not do tsurgery and can't offer you much help.

Nose Changed Shape?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Nose changing shape.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You will need to see a rhinoplasty surgeon for an assessment of your problem. It is unlikely that your nose will change back to the previous shape.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Help! My nose has changed shape?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend consulting with a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD

Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty for droopy tip and bump on the bridge

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It's important to have clear expectations with your ENT/ facial plastic surgeon when discussing your nose. To prevent the tip from drooping upon smiling and animation, releasing the depressor septi ligament is necessary. The bump on the bridge can be shaved down, however osteotomies may be required if it's a large and noticeable bump. It is best to go see a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty for best results

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.