How to get rid of a thick/fat neck? (Photo)

Hello, I am 44 years old, 5'5, 193lb and recently lost 40lb with a goal of 60lb more (goal weight 140lb) but one thing I notice is that no matter what I weigh, I maintain a thick and very fat neck that does not reduce. This was not the case when I was younger as it used to be normal. I have had all sorts of bloodwork to rule out disease - so I think it may just be fat but it's so disproportionate that it's embarrassing -- any advice would be appreciated.

Neck fat reduction

Most efficient method  would be a weight loss, but it is also most difficult and time consuming. Liposuction would help to improve contour of your neck but will not solve the entire problem; significant amount of fat is located underneath platisma musle, deeper then liposuction plane. This fat compartment can not be reduced by any other means but weight reduction. I can not comment on other modalities for fat reduction which we do not use in our practice.
Clinical evaluation by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon would help. Good luck.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Neck liposuction may be considered for removal of unwanted neck fat.

You may consider getting to your goal weight before considering treating your neck. Neck liposuction may be considered for removal of resistant fat, but your airway may need to be evaluated before considering surgery, since excess neck fat can cause upper airway obstruction, snoring, and sleep apnea. We have no experience with Kybella in our practice.Hope this helps, and wishing you well.Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Submental fat options include Kybella and Surgery

If considering treatment of neck fat, I would recommend first getting close to your ideal weight (within 10-15 pounds). Afterwards, you may be a candidate for Kybella, a product that dissolves neck fat, or surgery to remove the fat cells. The issue with weight loss is that you may also have loose skin that is evident once you are closer to your ideal weight. So, you might need both skin and fat removed at the time of surgery. Best of luck on your weight loss journey!

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Submental Fat

You could be a candidate for a submental liposuction or Kybella injection ( Kybella melts fat). The options can only be assessed during an in person consultation.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Thick Neck

Liposuction of the neck will reduce the thickness of the neck. Please consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes!

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon