Breast implant has a dent when I tense my muscle? Could this be the start of capsular contraction? (photo)

Photo attached of my breasts while tensing- the dent is on the right inner breast? Do I need revision surgery, will it get worse?

Animation deformity issues

Change in breast shape with muscle flexion is called animation deformity, and occurs to some degree with implants under the muscle in most patients. Options to improve it include placing the implants above the muscle (subfascial or subglandular), conversion to the split muscle plane (not the same as dual-plane), and fat grafting (which does not really address the cause of the problem.)

Breast implants - indentation when flexing the muscle

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• It seems that the muscle fibers have re-attached and are creating this dent.
  • If it bothers you - an attempt at releasing the fibers can be done but may not be effective.
  • Or the implants can be placed over the muscle instead of under.
  • If it does not bother you - leave things alone. You appear to have an otherwise nice result.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast Implant Dent

Thank you for your question and picture. Sometimes when the breast implant is placed under the muscle and the muscle contracts, the implant can be pushed higher and flatten. In my experience, this will not lead to a capsular contracture. If your breasts are soft, you probably do not have a capsular contracture. You should have a follow up exam with your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns.

Animation issue

This sounds like an animation deformity.  The dent may be from the muscle flexing. Best to be evaluated in person.  Difficult to correct if at all unless you swap to a sub glandular pocket,