Just had 50 units of botox on forehead. Is this too much? (Photo)

Hi all, just had botox today and doctor insisted i get 50 units on forehead.Ive had 3x botox treaents in the past.I told her my other doctors just gave me 25u on forehead.She Said she can give me 25U but it wouldnt last as long as when she gives me 50u. felt pressured so i agreed on getting 50u. Im 26 years old. Ive attached a photo of me 6 months ago 1 week after i had 25u of botox on forehead - i was really happy w/ the result.Just wondering if giving me 50u would make botox last 2x longer?

Just had 50 units of botox on forehead. Is this too much

Thank you for your question.  On average most patients require 16-24 units of Botox and 50-60 units of Dysport for the forehead.  You  may have had Dysport.  If your happy with your first physician injector, and he gave you good results, then i would advise you to continue going to him/her.  Best wishes.   

Botox Treatment

Hi there, thanks for sharing your photo. Having 50 units injected will not make your treatment last twice as long. Unfortunately, Botox does not work like that. 50 units seems a little excessive for your forehead alone, especially since you are young. I would recommend going back to the other physician if you liked their treatment better. Best of luck. -Dr. Coan

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Appropriate dosage for treatment with Botox

50 units of Botox would be excessive to fully treat forehead rhytids (horizontal forehead lines), but it may be appropriate to treat both the glabella and forehead.  A typical dosage for the forehead is 20 units.  50 units would be more appropriate as a Dysport dosage.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

A higher amount of units injected will not make your botox last any longer than normal. 3-4 months is an average of how long Botox will last. To be sure, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Botox to the forehead

I suspect that you had 50 units of Botox to the glabella and forehead.  I find that to be excessive given your photo and your age.  Increasing the amount of Botox that you receive does not increase the longevity of the Botox.  25 Units lasts as long as 50 units and the only improvement you will see is increase in effect of having more Botox for the same duration of time. 

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

25 or 50 units

50 units will last as long as 25 units. All botox usually wears off with 3-4 months and can last up to 6 in some.  

Botox units- how much for forehead

The issue could be terminology.  Most injectors refer to the muscles above your eyebrows as forehead muscles but some injectors also refer to the muscles between your eyebrows as forehead muscles.  This area is a different set of muscles and is usually referred to as the glabellar area, the frown lines or the "elevens".  Perhaps the second doctor treated both of these areas for you.
With Botox cosmetic, the forehead muscle in most women takes between 6-20 units, the glabellar area between 15-30 units, although both areas can take more in some women.

The other possibility is the second doctor gave you Dysport.  50 units of Dysport is approximately equal to 20 units of Botox.  Dysport units tend to cost about 1/3 of what Botox units cost however.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

50U Botox

Thanks for your question. 50U of Botox only in the forehead area is a fairly high dose, but not unheard of. Especially if by "forehead," you also mean the area between your eyebrows (glabella). I'm not aware that adding more product means that it will last any longer though. The drug is metabolized and excreted in the same way and same rate no matter the dose. I prefer to start w/ a smaller dose, bring the patient back in 2 weeks for any additional injection that is necessary to get the desired result. That way we have that amount documented for next time.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Botox dosing in the forehead

If you did in fact receive 50 units of Botox in the forehead, that is quite a large dose.  On the other hand 50 units of dysport would not be entirely unreasonable although that is a somewhat high-dose as well.  I would not expect the duration of effect to be twice as long even if your dose of Botox were doubled from 25-50 units.  I would discuss this with your injector at greater length.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

50 units of Botox to forehead is a lot!

If all 50 units were placed in your forehead only, that's a lot especially in a younger patient such as yourself.  Hopefully, some of the units were also distributed to your frown and upper outer eyes.

Lawrence Osman, MD