Can you lose fat in the Buccal Fat pad by losing weight?

It seemed like a fat pad either has dropped to my jowl, or my jowl fat pad is growing (on one side...) I can manually "slide" the pad upward and pinch it and feel it. However, I wonder, when I lose weight I seems as though the fat pad slims down, but is it possible? Is there a difference between fat in the pad at face fat? Thanks

Bucccal fat dropping from losing weight

Thank you for asking about your buccal fat.

• You can definitely lose weight in the buccal fat pad with weight loss.
  • You do not see high fashion models with buccal fat - they are too underweight.
  • You would need to be examined to kno what is causing this fad pad to move - if in fact it is doing so.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Buccal fat tends to be different than the rest of the face and body

Buccal fat tends to respond differently to weight loss and dietary changes then fat and the rest of the face and body. In particular this fat pad maybe one of the last areas for the volume of the fat to decrease in weight loss. That being said many people due noticed a reduction in jowls an facial fullness in that area with weight loss but I think as a rule other areas of the face lose volume first.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Buccal Fat Pad vs Jowls Fat Pad

The Buccal Fat Pad is a distinct  Fat pad of face, and it is a separate fat pad from the jowl fat pad in the lower face and the malar fat pad in the mid-face below the eyes. Dieting is not best way to decrease buccal fat volume, but dieting does help with reducing generalize facial fat volume. The buccal fat is very resistant to weight loss. We do see buccal fat pad reduction in extreme case of starvation.

Basil Pakeman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon