Advice For Seeking Gynecomastia Correction at 21? (photo)

I am a 21 year old male and when I was about 13 my right nipple started to become enlarged and when touched you can feel a mass inside. I went to the doctor then and they just said it was gynecomastia and that it would go away. But Im now 21 and its still there, I would like it fixed, any advice would be appreciated,

Doctor Answers 12

PUFFY NIPPLE is a more subtle form of GYNECOMASTIA (Man Boob

You have a rather classic history of Gynecomastia (Man Breasts). Although most teen age boys have some increase in the size of their breasts the condition largely resolves in most by age 18. If it persists, as it has in your case and hundreds of thousands of others, you have a variant of Man Breasts or GYNECOMASTIA.

Although a minority of such cases do have an underlying medical reason, the vast majority of Gynecomastia cases have NO explicable medical reason and the best treatment is SURGERY. Unless you have large or very hanging breasts, very nice results and a flat chest wall may be obtained with a combination VASER Liposuction and removal of the "puffier" enlarged breast gland.

Your condition is completely treatable.

Good Luck

Peter Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN

Memphis Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 93 reviews


Gynecomastia can appear as a fullness of the entire male breast or as puffiness only under the nipple. Most commonly it presents involving both sides of the chest however gynecomastia of one breast only is quite common as well. 

Correction of gynecomastia will fix the breast fullness and usually does a great job at correcting the puffiness of the nipple as well. 


Scarless gynecomastia

it looks like you have 1 side gland only problem. very hard to tell with the shadow in the photo. ideal for the "Scarless" approach. Find someone in your area who offers this and check into it.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Correction of Gynecomastia

Gynecomastia can be corrected by excision of breast tissue, liposuction alone or a combination of the two. I prefer to lipo the fatty tissue and excise the firmer breast tissue - esp the tissue under the areola. This combination usually works well and can be individulized to your specific anatomy. Good Luck.

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 85 reviews


The overwhelming number of males who go through puberty notice firmness under the nipple.The firmness typically resolves for minor cases. Unfortunately more pronounced cases do not resolve and certainly a case at 21 years of age will not resolve without surgery.

Jay M. Pensler, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Young Men with Gynecomastia

Gynecomastia develops in a high percentage of young men during puberty. This is triggered by an imbalance of estrogen and testosterone. Most cases resolve with maturity but for about 5% of young men the tissue becomes firm and fibrous upon reaching adulthood. Unfortunately the only option for treatment is surgery.

Miguel Delgado, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 57 reviews

Gynecomastia Correction

Hi Aug2790,

Thanks for the post and photo. It sounds like you have what is referred to as physiologic gynecomastia. This is not uncommon in teenage boys going through puberty. In a vast majority of these boys it resolves after 2 to 3 years. Clearly that is not the case with you, and at this point it will not resolve without surgery. I recommend you see a plastic surgeon experienced in gynecomastia surgery. 


Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Advice For Seeking Gynecomastia Correction at 21? (photo)

Judging from your photo, I would recommend liposuction and direct excision of subareolar glandular tissue.  Of course you should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 62 reviews

The enlarged male breast.

There are three causes of the enlarge breast in a male patient.  True gynecomastia  is firm glandular tissue underneath the nipple. The only way to remove this is through excision, which can generally be accomplished through a small incision underneath the areola.

Pseudogynecomastia is fatty tissue within the breast .  This can usually be treated with liposuction if the patient has good skin tone.

The most common gynecomastia that I see is usually a combination of both and we treat it with a combination of liposuction and direct excision.

I would recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for an evaluation.  He or she will be able to tell you which option may best suit your goals. 

Best wishes.


Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 82 reviews

Correction of Gynecomastia?

Thank you for the question.

Gynecomastia comes from the Greek meaning "gyne" meaning woman and  "mastos"  meaning breasts.  It refers to abnormal development of large mammary glands in males.  The diagnosis can be made by physical examination where relatively firm tissue  (breast gland tissue) can be differentiated from relatively soft tissue (adipose tissue).

Breast prominence due to excessive adipose tissue is called pseudo-gynecomastia or lipomastia.  The differentiation of true  gynecomastia  from adipose tissue is important because the surgical treatment may differ. Usually  physical examination by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon is sufficient to make the diagnosis  and to determine the best course of treatment.

I have found that gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue, then liposculpture surgery alone may suffice.

I would strongly suggest that you make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. There are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

I hope this helps.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.