Advice For Seeking Gynecomastia Correction at 21? (photo)

I am a 21 year old male and when I was about 13 my right nipple started to become enlarged and when touched you can feel a mass inside. I went to the doctor then and they just said it was gynecomastia and that it would go away. But Im now 21 and its still there, I would like it fixed, any advice would be appreciated,

PUFFY NIPPLE is a more subtle form of GYNECOMASTIA (Man Boob

You have a rather classic history of Gynecomastia (Man Breasts). Although most teen age boys have some increase in the size of their breasts the condition largely resolves in most by age 18. If it persists, as it has in your case and hundreds of thousands of others, you have a variant of Man Breasts or GYNECOMASTIA.

Although a minority of such cases do have an underlying medical reason, the vast majority of Gynecomastia cases have NO explicable medical reason and the best treatment is SURGERY. Unless you have large or very hanging breasts, very nice results and a flat chest wall may be obtained with a combination VASER Liposuction and removal of the "puffier" enlarged breast gland.

Your condition is completely treatable.

Good Luck

Peter Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN

Gynecomastia

Gynecomastia can appear as a fullness of the entire male breast or as puffiness only under the nipple. Most commonly it presents involving both sides of the chest however gynecomastia of one breast only is quite common as well. 

Correction of gynecomastia will fix the breast fullness and usually does a great job at correcting the puffiness of the nipple as well. 

Scarless gynecomastia

it looks like you have 1 side gland only problem. very hard to tell with the shadow in the photo. ideal for the "Scarless" approach. Find someone in your area who offers this and check into it.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Correction of Gynecomastia

Gynecomastia can be corrected by excision of breast tissue, liposuction alone or a combination of the two. I prefer to lipo the fatty tissue and excise the firmer breast tissue - esp the tissue under the areola. This combination usually works well and can be individulized to your specific anatomy. Good Luck.

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

The overwhelming number of males who go through puberty notice firmness under the nipple.The firmness typically resolves for minor cases. Unfortunately more pronounced cases do not resolve and certainly a case at 21 years of age will not resolve without surgery.

Young Men with Gynecomastia

Gynecomastia develops in a high percentage of young men during puberty. This is triggered by an imbalance of estrogen and testosterone. Most cases resolve with maturity but for about 5% of young men the tissue becomes firm and fibrous upon reaching adulthood. Unfortunately the only option for treatment is surgery.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Male Breast Reduction

Many men, including teens, are too ashamed of their overdeveloped breasts to take off their shirt at the beach. The common condition known as gynecomastia (Greek for "womanlike breasts") is characterized by enlarged breast tissue. Gynecomastia affects an astonishing 40 to 60% of men. Fortunately, the condition is easily reversed with liposuction just by making a small incision under the nipple. It is now possible to reduce the size of the breast using virtually scar less technique. Through a small incision around the nipple Liposuction with ultrasound and fine laser beams liquefy the fat and glandular tissue recontouring the breast around the areola and from the sides and bottom of the breasts. Because liposuction stimulates the skin to tighten, a smooth contour after fat is removed is possible.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Gynecomastia Concern at a Young Age

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Gynecomastia Correction

Hi Aug2790,

Thanks for the post and photo. It sounds like you have what is referred to as physiologic gynecomastia. This is not uncommon in teenage boys going through puberty. In a vast majority of these boys it resolves after 2 to 3 years. Clearly that is not the case with you, and at this point it will not resolve without surgery. I recommend you see a plastic surgeon experienced in gynecomastia surgery. 

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Judging from your photo, I would recommend liposuction and direct excision of subareolar glandular tissue.  Of course you should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS