Is this a normal mole? (Photos)

I'm really nervous about this mole. At times its real and crusty. Last night it opened up and hurts. Not sure what to think?

Doctor Answers 3


As a general rule any change in a mole or bleeding should warrant a thorough examination and biopsy. I suggest you see a dermatologist as soon as possible.

London Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews


The only way to know for sure what it is is to go to a plastic surgeon or dermatologist for a biopsy, send it for pathology (look at it under a microscope).  I would recommend you do this in the near future. 

Best of luck

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Normal Mole

From the photos, it is impossible to give you a clear answer.  I would strongly suggest that you see a dermatologist as soon as you can.    The way this looks, it needs at least a biopsy, if not a full removal, but that decision would be made by the doctor who looks at this.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist
4.9 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.