Can my root canal from 5 years ago start hurting and being sensitive to sweet things?

Can my Root canal from 5 years ago start hurting and being sensitive to sweet things. And the pain throbs for at least 30 minutes. I just had a cavity filled one each tooth beside the tooth that had the Root canal and crown. He said that should fix it but it still hurts so bad.

Doctor Answers 4

Pain after a root canal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is possible that you can experience pain from a tooth that had root canal treatment.  A canal could have been missed, or the root canal can be failing.  Without doing a proper exam and seeing a few x-rays it will be difficult to tell.  You may also be experiencing referred pain from another tooth.  You need to go see your doctor and have it looked at.

Newport Beach Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Root Canal Pain

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello there, 

Firstly, your dentist should make sure that the the pain is not due to an adjacent tooth. Scheduling an appointment with an endodontist is your best bet as it is very possible that a tooth that had a root canal can develop a problem years down the line. 

Hope this helps! 

Brian Webber, DDS
Long Island City Dentist

Sensitive tooth years after root canal? DrSoftTouch

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It's possible that the root canal is failing, but another possibility is that the sensitivity you are experiencing is coming from an adjacent tooth. I would recommend returning to your dentist to have the area evaluated. Good luck and I hope this helps. Click save on the save button below my name, so that you may ask me more questions in the future.

The root canal might need to be retreated

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Root canals can fail from time to time.  It sounds like your root canal might have failed.  You should go to your dentist to get it check out.  

Jean-Paul Banh, DDS
Federal Way Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.