Is it normal to grind down a porcelain crown?

My dentist knocked off my 4 year old porcelain crown, put it back incorrectly. The next day ground it down to adjust it to fit right again. Now it broke. Is this normal practice

Is this normal?

I'm sorry for your problems. What you are describing is not typical but ther may be other factors that come into play that caused the crown to need adjusting. I suggest visiting with your dentist and trying to work out the problem.

Porcelain crown #DrSoftTouch

Usually, when a crown comes off easily, it's due to a underlying problem such as a fracture or decay. If the cement simply failed and the crown needs to be recemented, an adjustment might be needed at cementation. Now that the crown has fractured, a new crown would be recommended.  I hope this helps. Click save under my name to ask me more questions in the future.

Healthy crowns can't get knocked off

If a crown came off, there were other issues, usually a fracture or decay problem.  Recementing can be a challenge if the tooth has split, and the bite will feel "off".  Grinding on it to adjust/fix the bite is normal practice, but it is likely best to be replaced or the primary situation addressed/fixed.

Crown adjustement

Hi:

There are times where a crown might need an adjustment after recementing.  However, it is very minor and should not change the integrity of the crown to the point that it causes it to fracture.  I advise you to go back to your dentist and have him reevaluate the fractured crown.

Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist