Thermiva vs surgical options for vagina rejuvenation. I am looking to tighten vagina is thermiva a good option?

I am seriously considering vagina rejuvenation. I have had 3 kids all before 28 and my gyn doc insist everything is normal down there. While I know everything is normal, I would like to have a tighter vagina. I would like to feel my husband penis like I use to before kids. Now it seems looser at 38 than even 2 years ago. I was reading on thermiva and I was wondering if it was something I should consider and if it actually works to tighten vagina muscles compared to other options..surgical?

Non surgical vaginal rejuvenation with ThermiVa

Dear Indigo

ThermiVa has been one of our biggest "wow" non-surgical procedures ever and has the added bonus of making 2 people very happy.  Your concern is the most popular reasons that patients come to see us for ThermiVa.
ThermiVa delivers a controlled amount of radio frequency (RF) energy which causes tissue tightening, increased moisture, bladder control, as well as shrinkage of the labia majora and minora. The application tip has a sensor that closely monitors the temperature in real time, which makes it very safe.  
A series of three treatments are performed in the office spaced one month apart. After that most patients will need an annual maintenance treatment. 
The procedure itself is painless and takes 30-45 minutes to complete. Patients describe a comfortable warm sensation, and no anesthesia is needed. There is absolutely no downtime, patients can resume sexual activity the same day. 
I hope that this information is helpful. 
Best wishes
Dr S

Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

ThermiVa

Excessive stretching of the vaginal muscles is a common occurrence after vaginal birth or due to aging. Damage can diminish sensation during sexual activity, reduce satisfaction.
ThermiVa treatments use radiofrequency energy to gently heat tissue to reclaim, restore and revive feminine wellness, without discomfort or downtime.
ThermiVa uses a special wand applicator which may be applied externally to labia and vulvar tissues to restore normal tissue tone and function. The specially designed handpiece may also deliver radiofrequency energy inside the vagina to revive atrophic tissue and other structures.

• No surgery
  • No downtime
  • No anesthesia
  • Comfortable, in-office treatments
  • Three 30 minute sessions, one month apart
  • May resume sexual relations same day/night
  • Noticeable improvment after 1st or 2nd session
  • Long lasting results

Lee B. Daniel, MD
Eugene Plastic Surgeon

ThermiVa for vaginal tightening

Themiva has been demonstrated to improve vaginal dryness, improve vaginal circulation and heighten orgasm. Surgery will always work better but this is a good option
Check on the Real Self or ASAPS physician locater to find a doctor in your area

Nonsurgical ThermiVa vs surgery

Yes, ThermiVa is a good option. ThermiVa is a new nonsurgical radiofrequncy rejuvenation procedure that improves vaginal laxity, labia laxity, urinary stress incontinence from age or childbirth, vaginal dryness, and orgasms. My practice is devoted to nonsurgical treatments of various types. I believe that if there is a safe and effective treatment option that can deliver a noticeable improvement (whether its vaginal rejuvenation or procedures for the face), then it's worth avoiding risks and side effects (and all surgery has some degree of risk or side effects!). In the case of ThermiVa, there is a high rate of satisfaction among patients and this is truly as no-risk a procedure as any I've ever encountered.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

ThermiVa

Thanks for your question. ThermiVa™ uses an S-shaped hand piece that tightens external and internal vulvovaginal tissue via a thermistor tip which also controls heat delivered to the skin. The provider monitors and tissue’s temperature via a treatment probe. This treatment helps minimize vaginal skin laxity. It's a safe and effective treatment for vaginal rejuvenation. Please find a board certified plastic surgeon or provider that offers this and visit for consultation.

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Non-Surgical Vaginal Tightening with ThermiVa

While traditionally, I have always offered a vaginoplasty (surgical option) for vaginal tightening, I have been very pleased with the results that ThermiVa has been able to offer my patients. It is not uncommon that after childbirth, the vagina becomes more lax both on the inside and the outside. This can affect sexual pleasure for both females and males. The benefits of ThermiVa is that there is no downtime and no pain involved. While your Gyn may be right that anatomically, everything is in place, there is no question that the vagina can stretch as we age and there are both non-surgical and surgical treatment options available.

Vaginal tightening: what is best, surgery, ThermiVa, FemiLift/Mona Lisa Touch??

Hello IndigoMom,

With great respect, I completely disagree with my friend and colleague, Dr. Alinsod.  Not that ThermiVa is not a good option (it is for modest surface tightening)). Yes, there is one article in the American literature re: ThermiVa, but it is preliminary, and does not compare ThermiVa with either Laser or surgical vaginal tightening. There are no prospective long-term head-to-head studies comparing ThermiVa with FemiLoft, Mona Lisa touch, or other Laser treatments.  I'm sorry to say, but Dr. Alinsod is deeply financially involved with the company that MAKES ThermiVa, and is a developer of the procedure, and he understandably biased.  That said, he is also a PREMIER vaginal floor surgeon, and is very aware of the differences between either Laser or RF tightening and a surgical repair.  They are different, and someone who has significant  vaginal relaxation and an "open": vagina will be terribly disappointed by either ThermiVa or Femilift.

I have performed > 100 vaginal tightening operations, and many FemiLifts.  I personally decided on Laser, but from my research perspective (I am also a researcher, having published 6 articles in tier1 peer-reviewed literature on genital plastics. I am very familiar with the literature & research.  Both FemiLift and ThermiVa appear to have good short-term results FOR MILD/RELAXATION, but it is only a well thought out and well accomplished surgical repair, PLUS a pelvic floor exercise regimen that will do the job for the kind of "loosening" after childbirths that gives a "sensation of a wide, friction-less vagina..."

Please understand: both ThermiVa and FemiLift work ONLY on the surface vaginal SKIN.  Neither do asything to tighten the muscles and effect real long-term tightening; this is accomplished by a surgical repair & pelvic floor exercises.Both ThermiVa and Femilift may be used in the far upper vagina (where there are no muscles) in conjunction with a surgical muscle and cosmetic repair, to help with widening "up high" and also to modestly help diminish urinary mild-moderate urinary incontinence

If you wish, click on the link below.  There is info on both Vaginoplasty/ Vaginal Rejuvenation (I use the 2 terms interchangably) and FemiLift.  

Very best!

Michael P Goodman MD

ThermiVa Option

ThermiVa is an excellent option for non-surgical vaginal tightening. As the inventor of ThermiVa I am certainly biased that it is the best option out there if you want to avoid surgery and achieve significant and consistant vulvar AND vaginal tightening effects. Lasers such as MonaLisa, FemiLift, IntimaLase, Juliet  just cannot get the level of tightening that radiofrequency ThermiVa can achieve.  Radiofrequency is superior to fractional lasers for tightening. Period. To achieve the same level of vaginal or vulvar tightening a laser must be ablative and non-fractional which results in a very long downtime of months with resultant shrinkage of vaginal mucosal tissue that can cause painful sex. 

The current vaginal lasers out in the market are fractional so do not cause those problems but then they cannot achieve the same tightness as radiofrequency. ThermiVa is the only one that can tighten the labia majora without anesthesia and without having to purchase additional laser hand pieces. Both technologies work for dry vagina but only ThermiVa works on the labial dryness without additional anesthesia and laser handpieces. ThermiVa is wonderful for stress incontinence and overactive bladder. Some of the lasers can help with stress incontinence but not overactive bladder like ThermiVa can. ThermiVa is the only device shown to improve orgasmic dysfunction and reduce the time it takes to achieve an orgasm. 

Lastly, ThermiVa is the only device known with muscle and fascial healing effects to both heal and improve muscle function inside the vagina. So when I logically look at the pros and cons of the systems available for non-surgical vulvovaginal tightening I must ask myself which technology has the most value.  When I get past the marketing hype it is a rather easy decision in my eyes. 

Red Alinsod, MD
Laguna Beach OB-GYN

Options for vaginal rejuvenation

Thanks for your question -

Female vaginal health is something that has long been neglected - There are multiple potential solutions for vaginal laxity.  It is completely normal to have a change in vaginal tone after childbirth.  Traditionally surgery has been a mainstay in vaginal rejuvenation and is certainly effective.  

More recent treatments include laser ablation of the vaginal vault and ThermiVA.

The downside to surgery and laser is they are procedures that typically require downtime, recovery and anesthesia for pain control.  ThermiVA has the advantage of avoiding these down sides.

See your plastic surgeon to discuss which treatment is right for you!

Steven H. Williams, MD

ThermiVa vs. Surgery for tightening/sexual sensation

Thank you for sharing your (unfortunately common) story.   Despite the fact that your vaginal area may be “within normal limits” that doesn’t mean that things haven’t changed for you or that it is functioning optimally or even tolerably well.  ThermiVa has been shown to contract and tighten the vaginal tissue by using heat to coil collagen and induce new collagen formation.  It may even work to strengthen pelvic muscles.  In addition, patients have reported increased sensitivity during intercourse, increased orgasmic potential, and even a resolution of the inability to have orgasms.  Having surgical tightening will not increase sensitivity and may even decrease it due to cutting off blood supply and nerve endings during the surgical procedure.  ThermiVa is an ideal treatment for patients with complaints similar to yours.  Good luck to you!

Natalie Drake, MD
The Woodlands OB/GYN