Is my current scar from myomectomy too low to be removed during upcoming hysterectomy/ tummy tuck surgery? (Photo)

20 yrs ago I had a laparoscopic gyn procedure which was converted to open after a large fibroid was found. The scar is very low- almost in the middle of my pubic hair (area above is shaved). I would much rather have the extra vertical scar for the former location of the belly-button, but is there a limitation on how low it can be (and still be expected to heal normally or not have other complications) ? My previous procedure started laparoscopically, I do have some scarring on my belly button.

Is my current scar from myomectomy too low to be removed during upcoming hysterectomy/ tummy tuck surgery?

You should get an excellent result from a full tummy tuck. The abdominoplasty incision will remove your current scar. Good luck with your surgery.

Questions regarding tummy tuck

These are excellent questions: 1) Yes, we can incise below the myomectomy scar and excise it with the abdominoplasty, and it is unlikely that you will have a vertical scar where your former belly button was due to the amount of left we will get from the mons, groin and upper thigh region and the upper abdominal skin laxity. 2) Yes, you will have beneficial lifting and tightening of the mons, groin and upper thigh region! The crease next to the mons will also go away. 3) The area you are pinching on the side of your hip is the front margin of where we suction for muffin top, but you have very little fat in this region. But on your backside, you will benefit from liposuction. 4) Yes, enough skin for a full tummy tuck! 5) It looks like you may have a small hernia in the upper part of your belly button, which can be fixed at the time of the tummy tuck.

Don't forget that your internal girdle will be tightened with repair of you diastasis recti resulting in a stronger core and flatter tummy.

Make sure to do your homework finding a plastic surgeon, ask for before and after photos and focus on the incision, which should be low under the bikini line and look at the new belly button to make sure they look pretty & natural.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

No, your old scar is not too low, and yes, it can be removed completely via tummy tuck.

Your lower abdominoplasty incision can easily be made below your old scar, and especially since you are willing to accept the possibility of a short vertical suprapubic scar (the umbilicus site), this should pose no problem at all.

As others have stated, depending on the laxity of the remaining abdominal skin, you may not even require this vertical component, but that is determined at surgery, not decided on in advance. Healing should be normal regardless of the incision placement. Make sure you select an ABPS-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Lower Tummy Scars Often removed during Tummy Tuck

From your photos (exam needed to be sure) it appears that your gynecological scar can be completely removed during your tummy tuck. Make sure you choose a board certified plastic surgeon.

Abdominoplasty Scar

A full abdominoplasty should easily remove your myomectomy scar. I even suspect that you would be able to remove the belly button hole and not have a vertical midline scar.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Myomectomy scar would be removed as part of abdominoplasty.

Scar for the abdominoplasty would be just below the myomectomy scar. Removal of the skin and fat flap would include the myomectomy scar.

Low existing scar

It should be possible to make it to the existing scar when performing the tummy tuck.  The necessity of a vertical scar would be determined at surgery.

Tummy tuck questions

Thank you for your question and for the photos.

The lower abdominal scar from your previous surgery can be removed at the time of the tummy tuck.  How much excess skin is present, the location of the belly button and the location of the lower abdominal scar will determine if a short vertical scar is necessary.  It is difficult to say with examining you in person. The laxity in the pubic area will be lifted as well at the same time.

Good Luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

It appears from your photos that your old scar should be excised with the TT. A thorough exam by a Board Certified PS is required to determine this and give you an idea if he/she thinks that a vertical component is likely or not.
Good Luck!

Jarrod Daniel, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Though a full examination is really needed it would appear that a full tummy tuck should relieve all your concerns

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD