Which is the best way on how to take Finasteride (propecia) 5mg tablets? (Photo)

I have been taking Finasteride for the last 10 months, following an FUE hair transplant. I was advised by the clinic to split the generic 5mg Finasteride tablet in two, and ingest 2.5mg of Finasteride every other day. I've only just recently read online that 2.5mg of Finasteride taken every other day holds no use, as it is short lasting and only remains in the body by by a few hours (possibly 5-6 hours). Can someone please advise myself on the best way to take the the 5mg Finasteride tablets please?

Which is the best way on how to take Finasteride (propecia) 5mg tablets?

Finasteride (5mg) is usually taken a quarter tab, 1/2 tab every other day and even in some instances the whole 5mg tab every day. The therapeutic dose "evens" itself out no matter if you take it daily or every other day. Only 1mg is required to stop hair loss.A 1/2 tab is 2.5mg and when taken every other day it will even out (titrate). Finasteride 5mg is also prescribed for the prostate and the additional benefit is halting hairloss. However only 1mg is necessary for hair. You have been given some information that is not clinically correct.

New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Problem with Finasteride (Proscar)

I recommend and prescribe Finasteride 5mg tablets to my Hair Restoration Patients.  I personally have been on Proscar for 3 years.  I highly recommend that you cut the tablet into fourths. (The Pharmacy has a pill cutter that is for purchase, and is inexpensive).  Only taking 1/4 of a pill a day, helps to slow down the hair loss, maintain what you have and the majority of my patients do not get the side effects that can happen when taking a larger dose.

Gregory Chambon, MD
Overland Park Family Physician

Problems with Finasteride

I stopped recommending this medication a few years ago to my patients because of the side effects. If you continue cutting up pills, make sure you wipe down the surface if there is someone that is pregnant is in the same household etc....You might want to check out the Capillus 272.  It's very effective and has 0 side effects.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon