Finasteride and permanent impotency and erectile dysfunction!

I am a 32 year-old male and was prescribed 1mg Propecia for male-pattern hair loss. I do not mind having a typical low libido but reading the frequency of incidences of people that experienced permanent ED and impotency is frightening and I am reluctant to take this medication. I am wondering if doctors had patients with such permanent and irreversible problems while on Finasteride?

I have read of such patients, although I have never had a patient with permanent problems from Propecia. My advice to you is, however, to not take the Propecia because your mind is already negative towards it, therefore it may be impossible to tell which sides are psychological and/or physical. Better to er on the side of caution. Be sure to use Rogaine twice per day.

New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss & erectile dysfunction with finasteride -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Spironolactone

association between finasteride and permanent erectile dysfunction
has a very low incidence and is only recently reported. Best course
for reversing hair loss is a combination therapy of progesterone, PRP,
hair transplant, finesteride. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Permanent impotency from finasteride

This is a syndrome that is only recently recognized and recognized by only a few doctors as evidence is sparse.  Nevertheless, it is a potential risk that you must recognize if the Post Finasteride Syndrome is real

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post Finasteride Syndrome; ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS NJ

In my opinion the incidence of post finasteride syndrome is low, approximately one percent. I believe that for the majority of patients Propecia is safe. I would recommend starting the medication and if you're developing any problems stopping the propecia. Should this still be of concern, platelet rich plasma can increase hair growth, decrease hair shedding and increase thickness  of the hair shaft. It is natural and without systemic side effects. Good luck .

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon