I'm 18 years old. Am I receding? (Photo)

I would like to know if I am receding , or maturing in the hairline . my hair is indeed wet in this picture in natural lighting ; I figure it would give a better judgement. Could hormone imbalance cause such a thing in a specific area ? My hairline has always been at this height however the corners look to be thin. Also my hair texture is extremely different from my father, would that make a difference in the extent of hair loss ? Ps my hair is combed in back direction.

Doctor Answers 3

Hair Restoration -- PRP, Progesterone, Minoxidil, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finasteride, Spironolactone, follicular unit (FUE) hair tra

Yes, your hairline is receding. We treat this with combination therapy of PRP, Progesterone, medication such as minoxidil, possibly spironolactone and FUE hair transplant. Please see an expert soon to prevent more loss. Best, Dr. Emer

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 177 reviews

Am I receding?

I am sorry to tell you but the answer is that it is. It is important to undergo a consultation with a hair loss specialist in your area for a complete evaluation. This should include a thorough history and physical examination, including dermoscopy and Haircheck or hair mass index measurement , as well as a baseline photos series. This is all important for future evaluation to assess progression and response to therapy.
Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

18 years old and possible early hair loss

Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the HAIRCHECK test will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and put a number on that hair loss (a metric) and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.