Is the lymphatic drainage massage really necessary? Should it be done after a BBL? Is it routine post op care?

Does doing it improve the BBL results? Do doctors recommend this (lymphatic drainage massage) or is it just the patient's preference. What are the pros & cons to doing it?

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Is the lymphatic massage really necessary? Should it be done after a BBL? Is it routine post op care.

Although, post op massage is not necessarily mandatory, following a BBL or liposuction procedure, it can be helpful to speed the healing process by mobilizing fluid and helping to break up subcutaneous scarring.  The massage doesn't have to be a "lymphatic massage" nor does it have to be performed by a professional masseuse.  Before starting any massage, check first with your surgeon as to their recommendations in your particular case.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. I always recommend my patients to have their first drainage lymphatic massage 24 hours after surgery, this is because after surgery our bodies get really swollen and full of liquid,, this is dangerous because we can start to retain the same liquid, and this is not good for us, also the massages help you to reduce, and sooner!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

It is important to follow your surgeons post-operative care instructions seeing as they know exactly what they performed during surgery and exactly what you should do for optimal results post op. I believe that massaging can be beneficial but isn’t necessary. If you have some discomfort, swelling or want to accelerate your recovery process, you may want to do some daily light massages starting about a week after surgery. I would definitely recommend wearing your body garment until your surgeon tells you otherwise, to reduce swelling and have the best results possible.
Good luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Lymphatic drainage massage

Thank you for your question. After your BBL procedure you will have bruising and swelling so it is best you listen to your board certified plastic surgeon's post-op instructions to optimize your results. 

To support the comfort and recovery of patients after surgery, a post-surgical massage that is designed to speed the healing process and help you return to your normal daily activities more quickly. Using a combination of lymphatic and Swedish massage techniques, massage to provide the following benefits:

• Reduce swelling and bruising
• Improve flexibility
• Stimulate nerve endings to diminish numbness and any skin sensitivity

For the majority of our surgical patients we ask they start about 10-14 days after surgery with the massages. 

Hope this helps,

Dr. Newall 

German Newall, MD