Just had hip replacement on one side. When can I have a tummy tuck and BBL?

End of July I had a total hip replacement on one side. I would like to have a tummy tuck and a BBL . How long should I wait before havin cosmetic surgery ?

Recovery time between total hip replacement and tummy tuck

I think the most important opinion about this will come from your orthopedic surgeon, but it would probably be a great idea if your plastic surgeon gave him or her a call to discuss some of the particular details of the operation.  Things like positioning on the operating table, lift and transfer positions, and safe areas for injecting fat graft for the BBL, taking into consideration what approach was used to perform your hip replacement, should probably all be agreed upon by the two surgeons.  With this information, your orthopedist should be able to give really good advice to you and your plastic surgeon about the timing of your body contouring procedures and any other things he or she might recommend to ensure that your operation is carried out safely and without causing any problems with your new hip joint.  Best of luck!

Thank you for sharing your question and I hope your rehab after hip replacement is going well.  I would speak to your orthopedic surgeon about timing, but most likely you would be safe at 6 months after surgery to pursue a tummy tuck and BBL.   

Surgery

I would ask your orthopaedic surgeon when you could consider plastic surgery and ask him and your PS to liase so that you can get the most appropriate advice. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Your orthopedic surgeon and plastic surgeon need to have a chat.

I applaud your ambition to follow a hip replacement with cosmetic surgery to really get your groove back, but it’s impossible to evaluate how soon you’ll be ready for a tummy tuck and a Brazilian butt lift. Your orthopedic surgeon needs to assess how you’re recovering from hip replacement, sharing any relevant information with your board-certified plastic surgeon. While it’s tempting to kick the walker to the curb and give your body a reboot with plastic surgery, you should be fully healed and recovered before you bring sexy back. This could be 6 months or more. Best of luck to you.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

Greetings

Thank you for your question, 3 - 6 months would be much safer as complete recovery is needed also best to follow up with your surgeon.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Thank you for email. You need to get an approval from your orthopaedic surgeon before embarking upon tummy tuck. Tummy tuck is an elective operation and you should ensure that your orthopaedic surgeon, plastic surgeon and the anaesthetist are happy in regards to your recovery and mobility following hip replacement surgery.With very best wishes,

Shailesh Vadodaria, MD
London Plastic Surgeon