Can I Just Get the Platsymal/corset-tightening Neck Lift Done on Its Own, Without a Facelift?

I already had a mini-facelift 4 years ago and it's holding well. During that surgery, my doctor also performed a little liposuction under my chin which left loose skin that has grown more pronounced with each year. I now need a neck lift..... My surgeon told me I'd probably never need another facelift and, in fact, discouraged the notion of future facelifts being necessary.

Neck Lift with Platysmapasty Is Possible After Mini Facelift

Thank you for your question. It certainly is possible to do a platysmaplasty and neck lift after a mini facelift.  However it would depend on how well your mini facelift tightened your lower face.

It is common when doing a neck lift and platysmaplasty that a small incision is made around the ear lobule and behind the ear to tighten the jawline and remove jowls as well.

Be certain to consult a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is experienced in neck lift and face lift techniques.

Platysma tightening without facelift

The problem with mini facelifts is they  frequently give "mini" results. They are an attractive marketing device because it gives the potential patient the impression that they are having a minor procedure and are going to get major improvement. Since the advent of such lifts ( many of which are given catchy names for marketing purposes) we have seen a huge increase in patients with complaints just like yours after undergoing such procedures. In reality, a facelift that does all it is supposed to do is not much more recovery than a minilift anyway. However, it does take more time to do and is more expensive because the surgeon is focusing on multiple areas of the face instead of expecting a place remote from the operative site ( like the neck) to be corrected without even working on it. So, here you are with a mini result after a mini lift. While it may be possible to just enter the neck and recontour it without opening your old incisions I would say it is unlikely since platysma tightening really only helps the underlying anatomy and does nothing to recontour skin. I would expect that you will require a secondary lift along with addressing the muscles, fat , and excess skin in the neck which will be transposed laterally and will ultimately be removed at the ears. The good new is that if you do all that, then it is unlikely you will need anything for quite some time as addressing all areas will reduce the risk of early recurrence.

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift without Facelift

Thank you for your question. Neck Rejuvenation is often used in conjunction with a Concept™ Facelift, in order to provide rejuvenation to the whole area. Neck Rejuvenation can include tightening the platysma muscle which can be an extra procedure which some patients may need to ensure a tight contour neck.  Tightening of the platysma muscle (also know as platysmaplasty) will require a small incision under the chin away from direct view to gain access to the front edge of the muscle on the neck; they are sutured together with permanent stitches.  The muscles of the neck are the foundations and building blocks of the neck are fundamental to achieving a tight and toned result. Alternatively, some patients may need neck liposuction, for those who have excess fat under the chin.  Overall, to obtain the best results a combination of neck rejuvenation procedure maybe needed. Neck Rejuvenation is often used in conjunction with a Concept™ Facelift, in order to provide rejuvenation to the whole area. I perform my facelift and neck lift under local anaesthetic, meaning minimal bruising and swelling is experienced by patients.  This significantly reduces the recovery time experienced, therefore patients being able to return to their daily lives with public view within 5-7 days.  This is why it is important to have a comprohensive consultation with a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.  Best Wishes 

Amir Nakhdjevani, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Yes, in some cases this is appropriate, but sometimes, this alone will not be adequate. You should see a local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and be evaluated and see if the platysma bands alone are the culprit or if facial muscles are also a factor. After a consultation, you will be able to make a more informed decision. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Effectiveness of platysmaplasty without rhytidectomy

Platysmaplasty/necklift in isolation rarely works as well as necklift + facelift, but in a small subset of patients with adequate skin elasticity and minimal skin excess it can provide nice results.  An in-person evaluation would be the best way to determine the appropriateness of this procedure for you.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Platysmal tightening and corset procedures.

If you have loose skin under the neck you need a neck lift. Corset procedures and direct neck tightening have long since fallen out of favor and will not solve your problem with a natural and comfortable appearance. Elevation and tightening of the platysma muscle works much better posteriorly to the mastoid through a neck lift and is the proper approach to solve this problem.

Pictures or an exam would help elucidate what is needed, but what you describe does not represent a possible scenario.  Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of facial procedures and neck lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Necklift vs. revision facelift

It is certainly possible that a more limited approach to improve your neck laxity may address your concerns.  Without photos and an exam it is difficult to determine the extent of surgery necessary.  Facial and neck rejuvenation is best tailored to each individual as you will have a unique combination of platysmal laxity, skin laxity and fatty fullness.  A second opinion regarding your needs may help clarify the matter.  Good luck!

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift for platysma corset tightening

A neck lift can be performed with and without skin removal, however excess skin in the neck will  make the decision as to whether or not a neck lift with or without skin removal can be accomplished. Without the pictures, it is impossible to tell. To see the difference between a neck lift in the lower face neck lift, please see our photo gallery link below

Neck lift options

Thank you for your question.  Without photos and inability to perform a physical exam I will attempt to answer your question

There is not ONE operation for ALL patients that will satisfy their desires. Depending on your anatomy, your desires, your fianances, your ability to take off time to recovery will all need to be taken into consideration.

options include:1) liposuction of the neck 2) tightening of the neck muscles(platysmaplasty) 3)full face lift and 4) possible chin augmentation

I would recommend a appointment with several board certified plastic surgeons, way your options and proceed as you see fit.