Why the huge bulge after Tummy Tuck with Muscle Repair? (photos)

Hi- I have a Huge upper bulge- looks like a basketball. It feel like it's getting bigger. It's hard, not fluid like. I've attached pics, I'm putting on pounds instead of loosing. I drink water watch what and how I eat. Feel like my muscle repair came undone??

Big bulge after tummy tuck

Hi mlfchick

You have a problem that your doctor needs to address.  I can think of two things off the top of my head, but an exam will be required to make a diagnosis and plant.

The two possibilities, given the huge change from 3 months, are:

1. fluid collection/seroma

2. rupture of sutures

and one other thing it could be- torn muscle.

I would see your doctor this week

All the best.

Why the huge bulge after Tummy Tuck with Muscle Repair?

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information and pictures as well! can be fluid, or a suture came out or viceral fat. I recommend to visit your surgeon so he can evaluate you and give you the solution to this.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

HUGE BULGE

This may be due to visceral fat, plication, issues, fluid collections, or maybe weight gain. Best to be seen in person.

Thank you for your question. It may be sutures came out there or fluid collection or weight gain or combination. Please see your PS for evaluation 

Bulge after Tummy Tuck

This should be looked at by your plastic surgeon. The history is important- how long post-operative are you?; How quickly did this swelling occur?- What activities have you been doing?

Your surgeon will be able to examine you and tell you what is going on. Then a treatment plan can be discussed.

In my practice, I have not had a separation of the muscle occur. It can happen of course, but I am more inclined to suspect a collection of fluid (serum) in that area.

Best wishes to you!

William H. Gorman, MD

Why the huge bulge after Tummy Tuck with Muscle Repair

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  I do agree that a substantial change has occurred to your recovery results and most likely a failure of your muscle repair.  See your surgeon for an in-person evaluation, they should be able to diagnose this quickly while then offering you treatment recommendations.  

Post op TT

Hi and thanks for the question and photos. You should be re examined by you PS. It is possible that the upper part of your muscle repair may have loosened. Best of Luck- Dr Hardy...

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Bulge after tummy tuck

It looks like either a failed rectus diastasis repair or fluid collection or possibly both.  This can be a common occurrence.  Talk to your surgeon.  

Bulge in upper abdomen after tummy tuck

Sorry to hear about your upper abdominal bulge.  It is certainly not considered normal at this stage.  It could represent a fluid collection or an issue with the muscle repair.  An examination in person with your PS is the best way to get this diagnosed and resolved.  

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after tummy tuck surgery.Based on the photographic progression, I would share your concerns regarding  the integrity of the abdominal wall muscle plication.

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendations.  Best wishes.