I am two days post BL/BA; shallow breathing to prevent pain of the muscles stretching. Is this safe?

I am two days post BL/BA me find I'm shallow breathing to prevent pain of the muscles stretching. Every once in a while I almost have to take a deep breath - it feels like I have DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) after a good workout but nothing sharp or tearing. Is this safe?

Questions about post operative #plasticsurgery pain management after #breastaugmentation

Hi Pippa, Thank you for sharing your question. While it's not completely uncommon to experience significant pain after a breast lift and breast augmentation combination surgery, it should be addressed directly with your operative plastic surgeon. When it comes to breathing and pain relief I always urge patients to meet directly with their plastic surgeon to discuss more in depth.  I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  -Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Pain

Pippa,

Thank you for reaching out. Congratulations on your new breasts! Pain is a subjective finding after surgery and can vary widely amongst patients, as some patients feel very sore for a few days after a breast augmentation while others say they went out to dinner the night of surgery. That being said, if you are having pain to the degree where it is stopping you from taking deep breaths, that is a problem for two reasons. One, you need to be taking deep breaths to open up the smaller air spaces in your lungs to prevent something called atelectasis, which could ultimately lead to pneumonia. Two, if your pain is out of proportion from what your surgeon has prepared you for, something may not be going according to plan. The pain you're describing doesn't sound very alarming, but if you were my patient I would want to know about it right away. Sometimes a muscle relaxer like Flexeril or a benzodiazepine like Valium can help relieve pain associated with muscle spasms.

I hope you feel better.

Joseph Brown, MD
Tampa Physician

Breast augmentation pain

Pippa.

Congrats on having your surgery.  You should continue breathing in a manner that allows for little pain, but also not to rapid to tire you out.  Try taking your pain medications more often or ask your surgeon for a muscle relaxant (Valium or Flexeril) which may make you more comfortable.

Goos luck.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Implants

I would not recommend shallow breathing to prevent pain.  Contact your surgeon in the event you need pain medication.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD