Should I stop working out before a Breast lift/Aug? How long before push-ups/planks after surgery?

I've read stories from women that they stopped working out before their surgery to "relax" their muscles. I live to workout and am not looking forward to taking a break after surgery. Is it important to stop exercising before surgery too? Also, how long is a safe period of time before doing push ups/planks after surgery? I regularly practice yoga and we must do at least 50 push-ups during one class. How long should I wait before doing a handstand? Thanks in advance.

Breast lift with implants: Working out before and after

Working out prior to your surgery should have no effect on your recuperation or results. It's always best to check with your surgeon's post operative protocol. I advise my patients they may return to the gym at three weeks for activities like running, aerobics, lower body weights, and swimming. They may do upper body weights starting off lighter than their usual routines at around 5 to 6 weeks, based on their level of comfort. So when you are trying some pushups at 5 to 6 weeks, listen to your body and take about two weeks to return to 50 push ups. Again, listening to your body is a good barometer of what your body is ready to do. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  It will be very important for you to follow the specific advice of your plastic surgeon regarding exercise after breast augmentation with lift.  Very generally speaking in my practice most patients are able to resume vigorous gym exercise by 6 weeks however your individual surgeon will have his or her specific advice. I see no reason to stop your workouts before surgery.

Should you stop exercising prior to surgery?

I don't see any reason to stop exercise prior to surgery.  Would I recommend heavy chest exercises the day prior?  Probably not, but anything before that will be fine.  Also, I like my patients to avoid chest exercises for 3 full months post-op.  It is going to give you the best result and cleavage.  Good luck!