What's the best non invasive treatment for a double chin?

What is the best procedure for that, non-invasive?

Non Surgical double chin options

If you are looking soley for a non-surgical solution, I am finding that the combination of Kybella or Coolsculpting Mini to reduce the sub mental fullness and an energy device to tighten the skin are among the best non-surgical combinations to help your neck concerns.
Kybella is an injection procedure that dissolves the fat an may require between 2-4 treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart. There is some swelling and bruising potential, with the greatest amount with the first treatment.
The Coolsculpting mini procedure cools the fatty tissue under the submental area and also reduces the fatty tissue under the chin.

As far as energy devices, I would recommend Ulthera if you are looking for something with no downtime, or Profound if you could tolerate some downtime. Ulthera is an ultrasound based energy that heats the underlying tissue and stimulates collagen in response. Profound is a radio frequency microneedling device that allows for the creation of Elastin, collagen and hyaluronic acid and hence restores some of the lost elasticity in the neck. It has more visible downtime with the possibility of some swelling and bruising that diminishes in about a weeks time.

Kybella for Reducing "Double Chin" Fat

While liposuction and platysmaplasty are the gold standard surgical procedures for your problem, there is now an FDA Approved non-surgical option called Kybella. This involves injecting a substance that melts the fat cells, improving contour. It typically involves a few sessions spaced a month apart. There is little to no downtime with each session.

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-invasive Procedures to Remove a Double Chin

Hello and thank-you for sharing your question and photo.

We are very excited with the development of several non-invasive techniques for correction of a double chin. We offer the Cool mini as a non-surgical alternative to liposuction for the right candidate. Generally, two treatments are required separated by 4-6 weeks.  We also offer Kybella which is another non-surgical alternative to liposuction. Generally 3-6 treatments are needed separated by 4-6 weeks.  If there is mild to moderate skin laxity, combining the treatment with Ultherapy is an excellent option. 

I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to learn about your options..

Best regards,

Andrew Lyos MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Non Invasive treatment for Double Chin

We have had good experience with the Exilis Radiofrequency device but that doesn't mean that you are a good candidate for it.  Age, skin quality, amount of fat and expectations play a big role.  Sometimes, surgery is the best option.

To be sure what might be right for you, see two or more board certified and experienced plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Double Chin Treatment

There are several options depending upon the cause of your double chin. It is possible that just liposuction in that area can help or you may need the muscles under the chin tightened as well. Secondly, it is possible that a chin implant may be needed to better define your jaw line. I am unaware of any non-surgical options. Even a laser assisted neck liposuction is a surgical procedure. Good luck in your area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double Chin

In my opinion there are no good non invasive ways to remove a double chin. In my experience the best way to remove a double chin (if it is fat) is with submental liposuction which is minimally invasive. It is a simple procedure with a very high level of satisfaction by the patients. If the double chin is due to excess skin and no fat then a neck lift needs to be done. Photographs would be helpful to possibly determine the problem at hand. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Noninvasive versus surgery for removal of a double chin

The  double chin in the neck can be composed of excess skin, fat, and loose muscles in the neck. Without pictures, it's impossible to differentiate what  the presenting problem is. If  patient's are in a younger age bracket,  then removal of excess fat  in the neck would be performed by a neck lift. Fatty deposits are located in 2 locations in the neck, above and below the platysma muscle. When removing the subplatysmal fat in the neck,  a platysma-plasty must also be performed at the same time to rejuvenate the neck area. For many examples, please see the link below to our neck  lift photo Gallery

Double Chin

In my experience, there is no really effective non surgical treatment for moderate to severe double chin.  Lipo, chin implant and sometimes skin reduction are time tested natural and long lasting treatments.

Joe Niamtu, III DMD
Cosmetic Facial Surgery
Richmond, Virginia

Joseph Niamtu, III, DMD
Richmond Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Double chin treatment

It depends on many factors: patient age, weight, skin texture and laxity and results desired.  See a board certified surgeon for a consult.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD