Full Lower Body Lift Vs. Tummy Tuck & Then Lower Body Lift?

From my very top weight during pregnancy, I've lost over 100lbs, so my stomach is in terrible shape with stretch marks, excess skin and an "apron". Along with that, my backside and legs are droopy and have too much skin for the "meat" inside ;-) Most doctors advised me to have a full lower body lift, but one has suggested an aggressive tummy tuck with a lower body lift at a later date. I am also going to have a breast lift with implants. Which route should I go - 1 or 2 surgeries?

Tummy tuck vs belt lipectomy

Thank you for your question. A consultation would help determine which of the following procedures is the right one for you:

1) Traditional tummy tuck: Reduces a great amount of skin laxity, tightens the abdominal wall muscles and keeps the incision hidden in the underwear line.
2) An extended tummy tuck: Same as a tummy tuck, but helps to reduce more skin laxity around the flanks.
3) A corset tummy tuck: Adds a vertical scar and breast fold scar, but reduces a significant amount of vertical skin laxity in addition to the horizontal skin laxity and creates the most hour-glass type figure. Downside is more visible scar
4) A belt lipectomy (or lower body lift) helps lift the outer thighs and buttock in addition to the benefits of an extended tummy tuck.

Options 3 and 4 usually have a significant amount of skin laxity that is being addressed. I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon who can spend time with you to explain the different options in more detail.

Two options to your body contouring goals

I would recommend that you consider doing a circumferential body lift/ belt lipectomy/ lower body lift or doing an extended tummy tuck with breast lift/implants.  

When considering the staging and order of body contouring procedures, we assess the patients goals, body habitus, medical problems, and then we recommend procedures or combinations that can allow for a safe recovery.

I would recommend consulting with 3 board certified plastic surgeons who have an interest in body contouring surgery to make the most educated decision.   I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

There will be varied opinions, and mine is to have two procedures, the first being the tummy tuck and breast surgery, then later the posterior part of the body lift. The Breast and TT combination can be done without a position change, and in a reasonable amount of operating time.

Congratulations on the weight loss, good luck with your procedures.

Full lower body lift with abdominoplasty

Most surgeons will base the procedures done on your overall health.  I assume you will have a full physical, EKG, and lab studies prior to your surgery.  In a healthy patient, it is reasonable to do an abdominoplasty and lower body lift at the same setting.  Be sure you discuss this with your surgeon in detail.  Also, be sure your surgeon is Board Certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).  I would also recommend having the breast surgery at a different time.  Follow your surgeons post operative instructions for a good result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Lower body lift

I generally recommend a lower body lift in one stage.  Most plastic surgeons refer to a lower body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation).  Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Timing for lower body lift

I personally do lower body lifts and abdominoplasties together in patients who want to treat the entire torso and to have the really large operation with its long recovery all at one session.  Much depends on the patient's priorities and finances.  If it is important for you to have the breast surgery at the same time as the tummy tuck, it is reasonable.  The body lift could add too much time to the operation, so it can wait till another stage.  Another way to look at it, however, is that the combination tummy tuck and body lift can be accomplished with one hospitalization, and the augmentation and breast lift could be an out-patient procedure. Again, it depends on your priorities and finances.

Bruce E. Genter, MD, FACS
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Lower body lift

By aggressive tummy tuck I think you mean a Fleur de lis abdominoplasty, which puts a vertical and a horizantal scars on the abdomen.

If that is what you want the divide into two surgeries.

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your successful weight loss.  The tummy tuck procedure addresses the anterior abdominal wall whereas the lower body lift addresses the torso circumferentially.   In other words, the lower body lift will address the lateral thighs, back and buttocks areas (to some degree).

Which operation you should undergo will depend on your areas of concern (goals) best communicated directly with your plastic surgeon in front of a full-length mirror and with the help of goal photographs.

Tummy Tuck and Lower Body Lift

They are technically separate procedures.  However, they can be performed at the same time.  A tummy tuck is basically contouring the front part of the torso, the body lift extending this to the back part of the torso plus helps lift the gluteus.  Some patients have a tummy tuck first, then proceed with the lower body lift at a later time.  However if you desire the lower body lift for sure , then the tummy tuck portion is usually performed at the same time to get the full circumferential effect.

Gary Motykie, MD

Combination Massive Weight Loss Surgery

It's not unusual for patients to experience significant weight loss following pregnancy. When this situation arises, they frequently develop redundant abdominal skin with weakened abdominal muscles. In many cases, this redundant skin extends posteriorly as a roll and results in buttock sag as well. This is often accompanied by localized fat deposits in the hip and saddle bag regions. Significant weight loss is also associated with loss of breast volume and associated breast sag.

When this situation arises, correction of these problems will usually require one of the variants of the mommy makeover. In this particular case, lower body lift surgery , breast augmentation and breast lift surgery are not an unreasonable combination. When these procedures are combined, there's improved synergy, less expense and one recovery.

When these procedures are performed together, safety has to be the first priority. For this reason, we believe it's important to minimize the length of these operative procedures. An experienced surgeon, 1st assistant and surgical team that focus on efficiency can minimize the length of the procedure and reduce the potential for complications.

When these resources aren't available, it's appropriate to stage these procedures. Combination surgery isn't for everyone. Patients may have co-existing health problems which prevent this approach. If you're considering this approach, it's important that you discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to formulate an appropriate surgical plan.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon