Full Lower Body Lift Vs. Tummy Tuck & Then Lower Body Lift?

From my very top weight during pregnancy, I've lost over 100lbs, so my stomach is in terrible shape with stretch marks, excess skin and an "apron". Along with that, my backside and legs are droopy and have too much skin for the "meat" inside ;-) Most doctors advised me to have a full lower body lift, but one has suggested an aggressive tummy tuck with a lower body lift at a later date. I am also going to have a breast lift with implants. Which route should I go - 1 or 2 surgeries?

Tummy tuck vs belt lipectomy

Thank you for your question. A consultation would help determine which of the following procedures is the right one for you:

1) Traditional tummy tuck: Reduces a great amount of skin laxity, tightens the abdominal wall muscles and keeps the incision hidden in the underwear line.
2) An extended tummy tuck: Same as a tummy tuck, but helps to reduce more skin laxity around the flanks.
3) A corset tummy tuck: Adds a vertical scar and breast fold scar, but reduces a significant amount of vertical skin laxity in addition to the horizontal skin laxity and creates the most hour-glass type figure. Downside is more visible scar
4) A belt lipectomy (or lower body lift) helps lift the outer thighs and buttock in addition to the benefits of an extended tummy tuck.

Options 3 and 4 usually have a significant amount of skin laxity that is being addressed. I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon who can spend time with you to explain the different options in more detail.

Two options to your body contouring goals

I would recommend that you consider doing a circumferential body lift/ belt lipectomy/ lower body lift or doing an extended tummy tuck with breast lift/implants.  

When considering the staging and order of body contouring procedures, we assess the patients goals, body habitus, medical problems, and then we recommend procedures or combinations that can allow for a safe recovery.

I would recommend consulting with 3 board certified plastic surgeons who have an interest in body contouring surgery to make the most educated decision.   I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

There will be varied opinions, and mine is to have two procedures, the first being the tummy tuck and breast surgery, then later the posterior part of the body lift. The Breast and TT combination can be done without a position change, and in a reasonable amount of operating time.

Congratulations on the weight loss, good luck with your procedures.

Full lower body lift with abdominoplasty

Most surgeons will base the procedures done on your overall health.  I assume you will have a full physical, EKG, and lab studies prior to your surgery.  In a healthy patient, it is reasonable to do an abdominoplasty and lower body lift at the same setting.  Be sure you discuss this with your surgeon in detail.  Also, be sure your surgeon is Board Certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).  I would also recommend having the breast surgery at a different time.  Follow your surgeons post operative instructions for a good result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Lower body lift

I generally recommend a lower body lift in one stage.  Most plastic surgeons refer to a lower body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation).  Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Timing for lower body lift

I personally do lower body lifts and abdominoplasties together in patients who want to treat the entire torso and to have the really large operation with its long recovery all at one session.  Much depends on the patient's priorities and finances.  If it is important for you to have the breast surgery at the same time as the tummy tuck, it is reasonable.  The body lift could add too much time to the operation, so it can wait till another stage.  Another way to look at it, however, is that the combination tummy tuck and body lift can be accomplished with one hospitalization, and the augmentation and breast lift could be an out-patient procedure. Again, it depends on your priorities and finances.

Bruce E. Genter, MD, FACS
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Lower body lift

By aggressive tummy tuck I think you mean a Fleur de lis abdominoplasty, which puts a vertical and a horizantal scars on the abdomen.

If that is what you want the divide into two surgeries.

Combining Tummy Tuck and Lower Body Lift Surgery

Often with major weight loss, excess loose skin occurs over the abdomen, hips buttocks and thighs. I prefer to perform the abdominoplasty and the lower body lift at the same as more balanced abdominoplasty results can be achieved when the incision can be extended around the body without limitation. In addition, often there is a loss of fullness in the buttocks after weight loss. Some of the fat in the lower abdomen which would otherwise be thrown away with a tummy tuck alone can be harvested and used to fill out the loose skin on the buttocks while at the same time lifting the buttock with a lower body lift.

Full lower body lift vs tummy tuck & then lower body lift?

Hello!  Congratulations on your weight loss!  Body contouring after such weight loss are very popular procedures and can produce excellent results!  These procedures may be safely combined at one setting, given you are healthy and without significant medical comorbdities.  I would consult with a plastic surgeon who would examine you and discuss the various options and assist you to decide if you wish to undergo all of the procedures at once or at smaller staged procedures.  An examination of the amount of work to do with each will also make the decision.  There would obviously be a cost saving and recovery benefit for a one-stage procedure.  However, your safety should not be sacrificed for these reasons.

If it was deemed wisest to stage these procedures, you will have to decide which procedure(s) are most important to you.  You should devise a priority list and discuss this with your surgeon and several of these procedures will still likely to be combined at the same procedure.  Thank you for your question!  Hope that his helps and best wishes for a superb result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Body lift and breast lift can be done at same time depending on extent of need

Dear BMJ:

I would suggest a full lower body lift to be done at one surgery.  When I do body lifts, I do an aggressive tummy tuck on the front side.  I do not see any benefits of doing an aggressive tummy tuck followed by a lower body lift at a later date.  Therefore I would suggest a full lower body lift followed 1 or 2 months later by a breast lift with implants.  If your full body lift is not that “extensive,” your body lift and breast lift can be done at the same time.

Thank you,