My crown feels a bit wobbly and it hurts when I bite down with it. What can I do?

A few days ago I woke up to throbbing pain on my crown that was placed about three years ago and is a bit loose. It doesn't hurt with hot or cold liquids but when I accidentally bite down, it causes a very severe pain that makes me flinch. Why might this be caused and what can I do?

Pain with loose crown #DrSoftTouch

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing pain. The pain could simply be a result of your crown being loose and no longer fitting properly or it could be due to the nerve of the tooth becoming inflamed or infected. I would recommend seeing your dentist as soon as possible to have the tooth evaluated. I hope this helps! Click "save" under my name, if you'd like to ask me more questions in the future.

Crown pain while biting

Hi:

There can be two possible two main reasons for the pain.  

1.  Loose crown

2.  Possible infection

You should definitley go to a dentist right away to check the crown and take an X-ray of the tooth.

Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

Pain in crowned tooth

The pain on biting could be due to 2 reasons. Since the crown is loose, it could have moved/shifted out of position causing trauma to the tissues surrounding the tooth when you bite. If so, your dentist will need to take the crown off and evaluate the condition of the underlying tooth to detemine whether it can be adjusted and recemented or whether the tooth needs additional treatment. 

The pain on biting could also be due to the nerve inside the teeth becoming inflammed or infected. In this case, your dentist will need to take the crown off, evaluate the tooth, possibly perform root canal treatment.

I would recommend seeing your dentist asap to have it evaluated.