Fixing a crown/receding gum.

I have a crown and the gum above it slightly receded causing a little margin. The crown itself is perfectly fine and doesn't need to be replaced. So rather than having to go through the process of making a whole new crown... can they just fill the area where the margin is with a little composite?

Doctor Answers 2

Fixing a Crown

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, off course  its a best way to fill the gum instead of replacing the crown. Composite resin need to withstand moderate pressure from the constant stress of chewing and filling look more natural.

San Diego Dentist

Composite Margin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Technically,the answer to your question is yes. It's not an ideal scenario since the bond cannot be assured to be very strong on the tooth as well as on the crown margin. Short term it may work, but it's not a long term solution. I hope this helps!

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.